Marginal note:Campaigning in public places
81.1 (1) No person who is in control of a building, land, street or any other place, any part of which is open without charge to members of the public, whether on a continuous, periodic or occasional basis — including any commercial, business, cultural, historical, educational, religious, governmental, entertainment or recreational place — may prevent a candidate or his or her representative from campaigning in or on that part when it is open without charge to members of the public.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of a place if campaigning in or on it would be incompatible with the function and purpose of the place or inconsistent with public safety.
- 2007, c. 21, s. 12.
Obligations of Candidates
Marginal note:Definition of candidate
82. For the purposes of sections 83 to 88 and 90, a candidate is deemed to have been a candidate from the time he or she accepts a contribution or incurs an electoral campaign expense referred to in section 406.
Marginal note:Appointment of official agent
83. (1) A candidate shall appoint an official agent before accepting a contribution or incurring an electoral campaign expense.
Marginal note:Appointment of auditor
(2) A candidate shall appoint an auditor on appointing an official agent.
Marginal note:Official agent — ineligible persons
84. The following persons are not eligible to be an official agent:
(a) a candidate;
(b) an election officer or a member of the staff of a returning officer;
(b.1) an undischarged bankrupt;
(c) an auditor appointed as required by this Act;
(d) a person who is not qualified as an elector; and
(e) a person who does not have the capacity to enter into contracts in the province in which he or she ordinarily resides.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 84;
- 2003, c. 19, s. 3.
Marginal note:Auditor — eligibility
85. (1) The following are eligible to be an auditor for a candidate:
(a) a person who is a member in good standing of a corporation, an association or an institute of professional accountants; or
(b) a partnership of which every partner is a member in good standing of a corporation, an association or an institute of professional accountants.
Marginal note:Auditor — ineligible persons
(2) The following persons are not eligible to be an auditor for a candidate:
(a) an election officer or a member of the staff of a returning officer;
(b) the candidate or any other candidate;
(c) the official agent of the candidate or any other candidate;
(d) the chief agent of a registered party or an eligible party;
(e) a registered agent of a registered party;
(f) electoral district agents of registered associations;
(g) leadership contestants and their leadership campaign agents;
(h) nomination contestants and their financial agents; and
(i) financial agents of registered third parties.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 85;
- 2003, c. 19, s. 4.
- Date modified: