Marginal note:Notice to candidate of confirmation or refusal
71. (1) The returning officer shall, not later than 48 hours after a nomination paper is filed, give the prospective candidate notice, in the prescribed form, of the confirmation of the nomination or of the refusal to accept the nomination.
Marginal note:Verification of nomination papers
(2) Before giving confirmation of a nomination or refusing to accept one, the returning officer shall verify, in accordance with the instructions of the Chief Electoral Officer,
(a) that the nomination paper is complete, including having at least the number of signatures referred to in paragraph 66(1)(e) or (f), as the case may be; and
(b) that the signatures referred to in paragraph 66(1)(e) or (f) are those of electors who are entitled to vote in the electoral district in which the prospective candidate intends to seek nomination.
Marginal note:Correction or replacement
(3) A nomination paper that a returning officer has refused to accept may be replaced by another nomination paper or may be corrected if the new or corrected nomination paper is filed with the returning officer by the close of nominations.
Marginal note:Deposit to Receiver General
72. (1) On receipt of the deposit, the returning officer shall issue a receipt to the witness and shall without delay send the deposit to the Chief Electoral Officer who shall without delay send it to the Receiver General.
Marginal note:Refund of deposit
(2) If a returning officer refuses to accept a nomination, the deposit that was filed in support of it shall be refunded to the person in respect of whom the nomination paper was filed.
Marginal note:Electronic filing
73. (1) A prospective candidate may send his or her nomination paper and the statement and instrument referred to in paragraphs 67(4)(b) and (c), respectively, by electronic means. In order for the nomination to be valid, the returning officer must receive the deposit referred to in paragraph 67(4)(a) and copies in electronic form of the nomination paper, statement and instrument by the close of nominations. The original documents must be received by the returning officer not later than 48 hours after the close of nominations.
Marginal note:Cancellation of nomination
(2) If the original documents are not received on time, the returning officer shall cancel the nomination unless the person in respect of whom the nomination paper was filed satisfies the returning officer that all reasonable measures were taken to ensure that the original documents were received on time.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 73;
- 2014, c. 12, s. 28(F).
Marginal note:Withdrawal of candidate
74. (1) A candidate may withdraw at any time before 5:00 p.m. on the closing day for nominations by filing, in person, with the returning officer a statement in writing to that effect signed by the candidate and witnessed by two electors who are entitled to vote in the electoral district in which the candidate’s nomination was confirmed.
Marginal note:Consequences of withdrawal
(2) When a candidate withdraws under subsection (1), any votes cast for the candidate at the election are void.
- Date modified: