RETURN OF THE WRIT
Marginal note:Return of elected candidate
313. (1) The returning officer, without delay after the sixth day that follows the completion of the validation of results or, if there is a recount, without delay after receiving the certificate referred to in section 308, shall declare elected the candidate who obtained the largest number of votes by completing the return of the writ in the prescribed form on the back of the writ.
Marginal note:Equality of votes
(2) If there is an equality of votes between the candidates with the largest number of votes, the returning officer shall indicate that on the return of the writ.
Marginal note:Sending of documents
314. (1) On completing the return of the writ, the returning officer shall without delay send to the Chief Electoral Officer all election documents in his or her possession together with
(a) a report of the returning officer’s proceedings in the prescribed form including his or her comments with respect to the state of the election documents received from the deputy returning officers;
(b) a summary, in the prescribed form, of the number of votes cast for each candidate at each polling station; and
(c) all other documents that were used at the election.
Marginal note:Report re: disappearance of ballot box, etc.
(2) In any case arising under section 296, the returning officer shall mention specially in the report the circumstances accompanying the disappearance of the ballot boxes or the lack of any statement of the vote, and the mode by which the returning officer ascertained the number of votes cast for each candidate.
Marginal note:Duplicate of return to each candidate
315. (1) The returning officer shall forward a copy of the return of the writ to each candidate.
Marginal note:Premature return
(2) A premature return of the writ is deemed not to have reached the Chief Electoral Officer until it should have reached the Chief Electoral Officer in due course.
Marginal note:Correction of writ
(3) The Chief Electoral Officer shall, if necessary, send back the return of the writ and any or all of the related election documents to the returning officer for completion or correction.
Marginal note:Where report made before recount
316. (1) Where, at the time of the issue of an order under section 311 or 312, the returning officer for the electoral district in respect of which the order is made has made a return of the writ under section 314, the Chief Electoral Officer shall, on being provided with a certified copy of the order, send back to the returning officer all election documents required for use at the recount.
Marginal note:Duties of returning officer on recount
(2) On receiving a judge’s certificate with respect to the result of a recount, the returning officer shall
(a) if the result of the recount is that a person other than the person named in the original return is to be returned, make a substitute return of the writ; or
(b) if the result of the recount is to confirm the return, send the papers back to the Chief Electoral Officer without delay and not make a substitute return of the writ.
Marginal note:Effect of substitute return
(3) A substitute return made under paragraph (2)(a) has the effect of cancelling the original return.
- Date modified: