Counting of Votes at the Office of the Chief Electoral Officer
263. This Division applies to the counting of all special ballots cast in accordance with this Part, except those referred to in Division 7.
264. (1) The counting of the special ballots shall be conducted by special ballot officers under the supervision of the special voting rules administrator.
Marginal note:Special ballot officers
(2) Special ballot officers shall work in pairs of persons representing different registered parties.
265. The Chief Electoral Officer shall prescribe security instructions for the safekeeping of special ballots, inner envelopes, outer envelopes and all other election documents, and instructions for the receiving, sorting and counting of special ballots.
Marginal note:Counting of votes
266. The counting of votes shall commence on a date to be fixed by the Chief Electoral Officer or, if no date is fixed, on Wednesday, the 5th day before polling day.
Marginal note:Setting aside of outer envelope
267. (1) The special ballot officers shall set aside an outer envelope unopened when they ascertain on its examination that
(a) the information concerning the elector, as described on the outer envelope, does not correspond with the information on the application for registration and special ballot;
(b) the envelope, other than an envelope in respect of an elector who has taken a vote under section 216, 243 or 259, does not bear the signature of an elector;
(c) the correct electoral district of the elector whose ballot is contained in the outer envelope cannot be ascertained;
(d) the outer envelope has been received in Ottawa by the special voting rules administrator after 6:00 p.m. on polling day; or
(e) the outer envelope relates to an electoral district for which the election was postponed in accordance with section 77.
Marginal note:Procedure when elector votes more than once
(2) If, after receiving but before counting the outer envelopes, the special ballot officers ascertain that an elector has voted more than once, they shall lay the outer envelopes that relate to the elector aside unopened.
Marginal note:Disposition of outer envelopes that are laid aside
(3) When an outer envelope is laid aside unopened as described in subsection (1) or (2),
(a) the outer envelope shall be endorsed by the special voting rules administrator with the reason why it has been laid aside;
(b) at least two special ballot officers shall initial the endorsement; and
(c) in the case of an outer envelope laid aside under subsection (1), the ballot contained in it is deemed to be a spoiled ballot.
Marginal note:Special report
(4) The special voting rules administrator shall prepare a report in respect of the number of outer envelopes that are laid aside under this Division.
- Date modified: