Marginal note:Information on the ballot
117. (1) Ballots shall contain the names of candidates, arranged alphabetically, taken from their nomination papers.
Marginal note:Name of party
(2) The name, in the form referred to in paragraph 366(2)(b), of the political party that has endorsed the candidate shall be listed on the ballot under the name of the candidate if
(a) the candidate’s nomination paper includes it;
(b) the condition described in paragraph 67(4)(c) is met; and
(c) no later than 48 hours after the close of nominations, the party is a registered party.
(d) [Repealed, 2004, c. 24, s. 2]
Marginal note:Designation of candidate as independent
(3) The word “independent” shall be listed on the ballot under the name of the candidate who has requested it in accordance with subparagraph 66(1)(a)(v) and may not be so listed in any other case.
(4) [Repealed, 2001, c. 21, s. 12]
Marginal note:Address or occupation on ballot
(5) The ballot shall list under the candidate’s name the address or occupation of a candidate who makes a written request to that effect to the returning officer before 5:00 p.m. on the closing day for nominations, if the candidate and another candidate on the ballot have the same name and both candidates have chosen under subparagraph 66(1)(a)(v) to either have the word “independent” or no designation of political affiliation under their names in election documents.
- 2000, c. 9, s. 117;
- 2001, c. 21, s. 12;
- 2004, c. 24, s. 2;
- 2007, c. 21, s. 20.
Marginal note:Property of Her Majesty
118. Ballot boxes, ballots, envelopes and marking instruments procured for an election are the property of Her Majesty.
Supply of Election Materials to Deputy Returning Officer
Marginal note:Materials to be supplied to deputy returning officers
119. (1) Before voting begins, each returning officer shall provide each deputy returning officer in his or her electoral district with
(a) enough ballots for at least the number of electors on the official list of electors for the deputy returning officer’s polling station;
(b) a statement showing the number of ballots that are supplied, with their serial numbers;
(c) the necessary materials for electors to mark their ballots;
(d) an adequate number of templates, provided by the Chief Electoral Officer, to enable electors who are visually impaired to mark their ballots without assistance;
(e) a copy of the instructions of the Chief Electoral Officer referred to in section 113;
(f) the official list of electors for use at the polling station, enclosing it when possible in the ballot box with the ballots and other supplies;
(g) a ballot box;
(h) the text of the oaths to be administered to electors; and
(i) the necessary envelopes, forms and other supplies that may be authorized or provided by the Chief Electoral Officer.
Marginal note:Safekeeping of election materials
(2) Until the opening of the poll, each deputy returning officer is responsible for all election materials in his or her possession and shall take every precaution for the safekeeping of those materials and to prevent any person from having unlawful access to them.
- Date modified: