Marginal note:Hospitalized or convalescing elector
217. (1) An elector who is a patient in a service hospital or convalescent institution during the voting times fixed for the polling stations in his or her unit is deemed to be a member of the unit under the command of the officer in charge of the hospital or institution.
Marginal note:Deputy returning officer for hospitalized electors
(2) If no deputy returning officer has been designated for a service hospital or convalescent institution, the deputy returning officer for the unit to which the hospital or institution belongs is the deputy returning officer for electors who are patients in the hospital or institution.
Marginal note:Bed-ridden electors
(3) A deputy returning officer for electors who are patients in a service hospital or convalescent institution may, if that officer considers it advisable and the commanding officer for the unit approves, go from room to room to administer and collect the votes of electors who are confined to bed.
Marginal note:Duty, leave or furlough
218. An elector who provides satisfactory evidence of their absence from their unit during the voting times fixed for the polling stations in his or her unit because of duty, leave or furlough may apply to a deputy returning officer of another unit to vote at that officer’s polling station.
Marginal note:End of voting period — delivery of documents
219. (1) At the end of the voting period, the deputy returning officer for a unit shall deliver to the unit’s commanding officer
(a) the outer envelopes that contain the marked special ballots;
(b) any unused or spoiled outer envelopes;
(c) any unused or spoiled special ballots and unused inner envelopes; and
(d) in a separate and clearly identified parcel, every statement of ordinary residence completed at the time of voting.
Marginal note:Duties of commanding officer
(2) On receipt of the documents referred to in subsection (1), the commanding officer shall
(a) deal with the originals and copies of the statements of ordinary residence in accordance with this Division; and
(b) deliver to the Chief Electoral Officer all other documents and election materials received from the deputy returning officers.
Electors Temporarily Resident Outside Canada
220. The definitions in this section apply in this Division.
« électeur »
“elector” means an elector, other than a Canadian Forces elector, who resides temporarily outside Canada.
« registre »
“register” means the register referred to in subsection 222(1).
- Date modified: