PREMIUMS AND OTHER FINANCIAL MATTERS
Definition of “actuary”
65.21 In this Part, “actuary” means the Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries whose services are engaged by the Commission under subsection 28(4) of the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development Act.
- 2008, c. 28, s. 125;
- 2012, c. 31, s. 434.
65.3 [Repealed, 2008, c. 28, s. 126]
Marginal note:Annual premium rate setting
66. (1) Subject to subsection (7), the Governor in Council shall, on the joint recommendation of the Minister and the Minister of Finance, set the premium rate for each year in order to generate just enough premium revenue during that year to ensure that at the end of that year the total of the amounts credited to the Employment Insurance Operating Account after December 31, 2008 is equal to the total of the amounts charged to that Account after that date.
Marginal note:Premium rate for 2010
(1.1) Despite subsection (1), the premium rate for the year 2010 is 1.73%.
(2) The Governor in Council shall set the premium rate based on
(a) the information provided under sections 66.1 and 66.2;
(b) [Repealed, 2012, c. 31, s. 435]
(c) [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 609]
(d) any regulations made under section 69;
(e) any changes, announced by the Minister on or before July 31 in a year, to payments to be made under paragraph 77(1)(a), (b) or (c) during the following year; and
(f) any other information that the Governor in Council considers relevant.
(3) [No subsection (3)]
(4) to (6) [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 609]
Marginal note:Difference year to year
(7) The premium rate may not be increased or decreased by more than five one-hundredths of one per cent (0.05%) from one year to the next.
Marginal note:Governor in Council — maximum change in premium rate
(8) On the joint recommendation of the Minister and the Minister of Finance, the Governor in Council may change the maximum percentage referred to in subsection (7) by which the premium rate may be increased or decreased from one year to the next, if the Governor in Council considers it to be in the public interest.
Marginal note:Time limit
(9) On or before September 14 in a year, the Governor in Council shall set the premium rate for the following year.
- 1996, c. 23, s. 66;
- 2005, c. 30, s. 126;
- 2008, c. 28, s. 127;
- 2009, c. 2, ss. 222, 230;
- 2010, c. 12, s. 2204;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 609, c. 31, s. 435.
- Date modified: