Marginal note:Rescission, etc., of penalty
41. The Commission may rescind the imposition of a penalty under section 38 or 39, or reduce the penalty, on the presentation of new facts or on being satisfied that the penalty was imposed without knowledge of, or on the basis of a mistake as to, some material fact.
41.1 (1) The Commission may issue a warning instead of setting the amount of a penalty for an act or omission under subsection 38(2) or 39(2).
Marginal note:Limitation period
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph 40(b), a warning may be issued within 72 months after the day on which the act or omission occurred.
Non-assignment of Benefits and Liability to Return Benefits and Pay Penalties
Marginal note:Benefits not assignable
42. (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), benefits are not capable of being assigned, charged, attached, anticipated or given as security and any transaction appearing to do so is void.
Marginal note:Exception — recovery of amounts payable
(2) Any amounts payable under this Act by any person and required to be credited to the Employment Insurance Operating Account may be recovered out of any benefits payable to that person, without affecting any other mode of recovery.
Marginal note:Exception — payment to other governments
(3) If the Government of Canada, a provincial or municipal government or any other prescribed authority pays a person an advance or assistance or a welfare payment for a week that would not be paid if unemployment benefits were paid for that week, and unemployment benefits subsequently become payable to that person for that week, the Commission may, subject to the regulations, deduct from those or any subsequent benefits and pay to the government or the prescribed authority an amount equal to the amount of the advance, assistance or welfare payment paid, if the person had, on or before receiving the advance, assistance or welfare payment, consented to the deduction and payment by the Commission.
- 1996, c. 23, s. 42;
- 2001, c. 4, s. 74(F);
- 2010, c. 12, s. 2194;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 606.
Marginal note:Liability for overpayments
43. A claimant is liable to repay an amount paid by the Commission to the claimant as benefits
(a) for any period for which the claimant is disqualified; or
(b) to which the claimant is not entitled.
Marginal note:Liability to return overpayment
44. A person who has received or obtained a benefit payment to which the person is disentitled, or a benefit payment in excess of the amount to which the person is entitled, shall without delay return the amount, the excess amount or the special warrant for payment of the amount, as the case may be.
- Date modified: