PART ILabelling (continued)
Labelling Requirements (continued)
10 A consumer textile article that contains filling, stuffing, padding or interlining for which the only representation label that is required is provided in accordance with the laws of a province is exempt from the application of paragraph 3(b) of the Act.
- SOR/89-505, s. 2
- SOR/94-247, s. 5
Information To Be Shown in Label
(a) the textile fibre content of the article in the manner prescribed in Part III;
(b) subject to subsections (2) and 12(1), the name and postal address of the dealer; and
(c) where there is a representation that the article or any fabric or fibre therein is imported, the name of the country of origin, unless the representation is made in another label applied to the article and the name of the country of origin is shown in that other label.
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply where a consumer textile article is a remnant and
(a) the name of the dealer who manufactured the fabric of which the article is a remnant is not known; or
(b) the article is sold or displayed for sale with other remnants in a manner described in section 18 and not all the remnants sold or displayed in such manner are remnants or fabric manufactured by the same dealer.
(3) The information required by paragraph (1)(a) shall be shown in the label in both the English and French languages.
(4) Subsection (3) does not apply where the consumer textile article is or is to be sold to the public in an area where only one of the official languages is in use continuously by the public for the purpose of making consumer purchases and the information required by paragraph (1)(a) is shown in that official language.
(5) For the purpose of subsection (4), area means
(a) the geographical area from which the store, shop or other trade outlet, in or by which a product is or is to be sold to the public, draws most of its customers; or
(b) where the product is or is to be sold by mail order, the geographical area in which reside or are located all the persons who have, as part of their postal addresses, the name of the same city, town or place as has the consumer to whom the product is or is to be sold.
- SOR/87-247, s. 2
- SOR/94-247, s. 6
11.1 [Revoked, SOR/94-247, s. 7]
12 (1) A dealer who resides in Canada may apply to the Commissioner for an identification number for use on the label of a consumer textile article in place of the dealer’s name and postal address if the dealer
(2) An application for an identification number shall
(a) be in writing;
(b) set out
(i) the name under which the dealer carries on business in Canada,
(ii) the name of an official, employed by the dealer and residing in Canada, who is authorized by the dealer to make the application,
(iii) the address and telephone number of the dealer’s place of business in Canada, or of the dealer’s head office where that office is in Canada, and
(iv) the dealer’s postal address in Canada, where the address set out under subparagraph (iii) is not appropriate for postal delivery; and
(c) be accompanied by a fee of $100.
(3) The Commissioner shall assign an identification number to a dealer if the dealer meets the requirements set out in subsections (1) and (2).
(4) A dealer may use the identification number on the label of a consumer textile article in place of the dealer’s name and postal address if the information required by paragraph (2)(b) is up-to-date.
(5) If a dealer transfers the identification number to a subsequent dealer, the subsequent dealer may use the identification number in place of the subsequent dealer’s name and postal address if
(6) to (9) [Repealed, SOR/2018-253, s. 2]
- SOR/86-643, s. 1
- SOR/87-247, s. 4
- SOR/96-92, s. 2
- SOR/2018-253, s. 2
Manner in Which Information is To Be Shown in Label
(2) The information that is required by paragraphs 11(1)(b) and (c) to be shown in a representation label shall be
- SOR/87-247, s. 5
14 (1) The information required by section 11 to be shown in a representation label that is applied to a consumer textile article, other than the information referred to in paragraph 11(1)(c), shall be shown
(2) Where the label referred to in subsection (1) is attached at one end to the consumer textile article so that both sides of the label are readily accessible, part of the information required by section 11 may be shown on one side and the remainder on the other.
(3) Where two representation labels are applied to any consumer textile article included in Schedule III,
(a) the information required by paragraph 11(1)(a) may be shown in English on one label and in French on the other label, and the information required by paragraph 11(1)(b) may be shown on either of the two labels; or
(b) where the two labels are contiguous, any part of the information required by section 11 may be shown on one label and the remainder on the other label.
(4) Where two representation labels are applied to any article included in Schedule I and not included in Schedule III, part of the information required by section 11 may be shown on one label and the remainder on the other if the two labels are contiguous.
- SOR/87-247, s. 6
- SOR/94-247, s. 8
- SOR/2018-253, s. 3
Form of Label and Manner of Application
(2) The disclosure label applied to a consumer textile article included in Schedule I and not included in Schedule III shall be of such material and applied in such a manner that it can be reasonably expected to withstand and be legible throughout 10 cleanings of the article.
- SOR/87-247, s. 7
16 A disclosure label shall be applied
- Date modified: