Grant, Refusal and Disposal of Plant Breeder’s Rights (continued)
Marginal note:Grant to joint applicants
28 If the Commissioner grants plant breeder’s rights to joint applicants as described in subsection 7(2), the grant shall be in the names of all those joint applicants.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 28
- 2015, c. 2, s. 20
29 [Repealed, 2015, c. 2, s. 20]
Maintenance of Propagating Material
Marginal note:Maintenance of propagating material
(a) ensure that he or she is in a position, throughout the period of his or her registration as the holder, to furnish the Commissioner, on request, with propagating material of that variety that is capable of reproducing that variety so that its identifiable characteristics correspond with those taken into account for the purpose of granting those rights; and
(b) provide the Commissioner at the Commissioner’s request with such facilities, free of charge, and with such information as the Commissioner deems necessary in order to be satisfied that the holder is causing the propagating material to be maintained and is otherwise complying with paragraph (a).
(2) Facilities requested under paragraph (1)(b) may include facilities for inspection and the Commissioner has power to undertake the inspection accordingly for the purposes of that paragraph.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 30
- 2015, c. 2, s. 21
Assignment of Plant Breeder’s Rights
Marginal note:Assignment of plant breeder’s rights
(a) informed of the name and address of the assignee; and
(b) furnished with such proof of service of a notice of the assignment on any person granted any of those rights by licence under section 32 as is prescribed or as the Commissioner, in the absence or in lieu of anything so prescribed or in addition thereto, requires.
Marginal note:Default precluding registration
(2) An assignee who has not complied with subsection (1) may not be registered as the holder of the plant breeder’s rights.
Marginal note:Unregistered assignment void against subsequent assignee
(3) An assignment of plant breeder’s rights is void against a subsequent assignee thereof for valuable consideration without notice who is registered as the holder of the rights unless, before the subsequent assignee is so registered, the person to whom that assignment is made is registered as holder of the rights.
Marginal note:Grant of compulsory licences
32 (1) Subject to subsections (2) to (6) and the regulations and if the Commissioner considers that it is appropriate to do so, the Commissioner may, on application by any person, authorize the doing of any act described in any of paragraphs 5(1)(a) to (g) by granting the person a compulsory licence.
Marginal note:Objectives on granting compulsory licence
(2) In disposing of an application for, and settling the terms of, a compulsory licence pursuant to this section in relation to any plant variety, the Commissioner shall endeavour to secure that
Marginal note:Provision as regards propagating material
(3) A compulsory licence under this section may include terms requiring the holder of the plant breeder’s rights affected by the licence to make propagating material available to the holder of the compulsory licence.
Marginal note:Variation and revocation of licence
(4) The Commissioner may at any time, on representations made by any interested person, extend, limit, vary or revoke a compulsory licence granted pursuant to this section.
Marginal note:Representations by persons adversely affected
(5) The Commissioner shall not dispose of any application for, or settle the terms of, a compulsory licence pursuant to this section or exercise jurisdiction pursuant to subsection (4) without giving interested persons who will be adversely affected by the Commissioner’s decision a reasonable opportunity to make representations with respect thereto pursuant to such notice as the Commissioner deems it appropriate to give.
Marginal note:Compulsory licence not to be exclusive
(6) No compulsory licence that is an exclusive licence shall be granted pursuant to this section.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 32
- 2015, c. 2, s. 22
Marginal note:Concurrent compulsory and other licences permissible
33 (1) A person applying for a compulsory licence may be granted it pursuant to section 32, whether or not that or any other person has a licence, including an exclusive licence granted by the holder, in relation to the plant breeder’s rights that the compulsory licence affects.
Marginal note:No contracting out
(2) An agreement is invalid to the extent that it purports to bind any person not to apply for a compulsory licence or to apply for a grant thereof on any particular terms.
Annulment and Revocation of Grants
Marginal note:Annulment of grant
34 The Commissioner may, before the end of the term fixed by subsection 6(1) for a grant of plant breeder’s rights, annul the grant if the Commissioner is satisfied that, at the time of the grant of those rights, the requirements set out in section 4 or the conditions set out in subsection 7(1) were not fulfilled or the holder was otherwise not entitled under this Act to the grant.
- 1990, c. 20, s. 34
- 2015, c. 2, s. 23
Marginal note:Revocation of plant breeder’s rights
(a) their holder has failed to comply with paragraph 30(1)(a);
(b) their holder has failed, within the prescribed period, to comply with any request of the Commissioner referred to in section 30;
(c) their holder has failed to comply with a direction under section 16.1 to change the denomination of the plant variety to which the rights relate;
(d) their holder has failed, within the prescribed period, to pay the fee required under subsection 6(2); or
(e) the plant variety which is the subject of those rights no longer meets the conditions described in paragraph 4(2)(c) or (d).
(2) [Repealed, 2015, c. 2, s. 24]
- 1990, c. 20, s. 35
- 2015, c. 2, s. 24
36 (1) The Commissioner shall, before annulling a grant of plant breeder’s rights or revoking those rights, give notice in writing that the Commissioner proposes to annul the grant or revoke the rights and the grounds on which the Commissioner proposes to do so to
(a) the prescribed period after the date on which notice is given under subsection (1), or
(b) such further period as the Commissioner may allow,
any interested person may file with the Commissioner an objection against the intended annulment or revocation to which the notice relates.
Marginal note:Representations to be taken into account
(3) Where, under subsection (2), an interested person files an objection against any intended annulment or revocation, the Commissioner shall not carry out the intention or otherwise dispose of the objection unless the Commissioner has taken into account any representations made by interested persons with respect to the matters in question.
Marginal note:Opportunity to object and make representations
(4) Interested persons having objections to file in accordance with subsection (2) or representations to make for the purposes of subsection (3) shall be given a reasonable opportunity to do so pursuant to such notice as the Commissioner deems appropriate, but nothing in this subsection prejudices the requirements of subsection (1).
- 1990, c. 20, s. 36
- 2015, c. 2, s. 25(F)
- Date modified: