PART XIXCommon Reporting Standard (continued)
Marginal note:Production of TIN
281 (1) Every reportable person shall provide their TIN at the request of a reporting financial institution that is required under this Part to make an information return requiring the TIN.
Marginal note:Confidentiality of TIN
(2) A person required to make an information return referred to in subsection (1) shall not knowingly use, communicate or allow to be communicated, otherwise than as required or authorized under this Act or a regulation, the TIN without the written consent of the reportable person.
Marginal note:Penalty for failure to provide TIN
(3) Every reportable person who fails to provide on request their TIN to a reporting financial institution that is required under this Part to make an information return requiring the TIN is liable to a penalty of $500 for each such failure, unless
(a) an application for the assignment of the TIN is made to the relevant reportable jurisdiction not later than 90 days after the request was made and the TIN is provided to the reporting financial institution that requested it within 15 days after the reportable person received it; or
(b) the reportable person is not eligible to obtain a TIN from the relevant reportable jurisdiction (including because the relevant reportable jurisdiction does not issue TINs).
(4) The Minister may at any time assess any amount payable under subsection (3) by any person and, if the Minister sends a notice of assessment to the person, sections 150 to 163, subsections 164(1) and (1.4) to (7), sections 165 to 167 and Division J of Part I apply with such modifications as the circumstances require.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- 2016, c. 12, s. 71
- Date modified: