Canadian Aviation Regulations
201.01 (1) Except for an aircraft that is operated pursuant to an authorization issued under subsection 202.14(1), no person shall operate an aircraft in flight unless there is an aircraft identification plate attached to the aircraft in accordance with this Subpart.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), where a person manufactures an aircraft or is an aircraft owner that obtains an authorization referred to in subsection (6), the manufacturer or aircraft owner, as the case may be, shall attach to the aircraft an aircraft identification plate that contains the information required by subsection (4)
(a) in the case of an aircraft other than an ultra-light aeroplane or a balloon, to the structure of the aircraft in a place where it is visible to a person on the ground or to a person at the main entrance or rearmost entrance door;
(b) in the case of an ultra-light aeroplane, in a position near the pilot seat where it is readily visible; and
(c) in the case of a balloon, to the lower or upper girdle of the envelope in a place where it is readily visible prior to inflation.
(3) Where the configuration of an aircraft precludes the attachment of an aircraft identification plate in a location specified in subsection (2), the Minister shall, on application in writing by the manufacturer or owner of the aircraft, authorize an alternative location for the attachment of the aircraft identification plate.
(4) An aircraft identification plate attached to an aircraft shall have the following information permanently etched, engraved or stamped on it, namely,
(a) the legal name of the manufacturer at the time of the manufacture of the aircraft;
(b) the model designation identified in the type certificate or equivalent document;
(c) the type certificate number or equivalent designation, if applicable; and
(d) the aircraft serial number.
(5) Where an aircraft does not have an aircraft identification plate, the owner of the aircraft shall submit an application in writing to the Minister, including evidence that establishes the identity of the aircraft, for authorization to attach an aircraft identification plate to the aircraft.
(6) On receipt of an application submitted in accordance with subsection (5) that includes evidence that establishes the identity of the aircraft, the Minister shall issue a written authorization to the owner that permits the owner to attach an aircraft identification plate to the aircraft.
(7) Where an authorization is issued by the Minister pursuant to subsection (6), the owner of the aircraft shall attach an aircraft identification plate to the aircraft in accordance with subsection (2) or (3), as applicable.
- SOR/2000-405, s. 2
- SOR/2003-271, s. 2
- SOR/2022-246, s. 4
- Date modified: