Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada


Citizenship Regulations

Version of section 9 from 2006-03-22 to 2015-06-10:

  •  (1) For the purposes of subsection 11(2) of the Act, a woman may give notice in writing to the Minister by sending a letter, together with the materials described in subsection (2), to

    • (a) the Registrar, if she resides in Canada; or

    • (b) a foreign service officer, if she resides outside Canada.

  • (2) For the purposes of subsection (1), the materials required by this section are such evidence as the woman giving notice possesses that relates to

    • (a) the date and place of her birth;

    • (b) the date and place of her marriage;

    • (c) her nationality immediately before her marriage;

    • (d) the nationality of her husband at the time of their marriage; and

    • (e) any nationality acquired by her husband since their marriage.

  • (3) Where a foreign service officer receives a letter and materials under subsection (1), the officer shall forthwith forward them to the Registrar.

  • (4) Where the Registrar does not receive together with the letter evidence that establishes whether a woman meets the requirements of subsection 11(2) of the Act, the Registrar shall forthwith communicate with the woman and make all other reasonable inquiries in an endeavour to obtain such evidence.

Date modified: