Explosives Regulations, 2013
Marginal note:Quantity of explosives and packaging
47 (1) A holder of an import permit must ensure that the following requirements are met:
(a) the quantity of each Footnote *explosive to be imported must not exceed the quantity of the explosive that the holder is authorized by a factory licence, a magazine licence or these Regulations to store; and
(b) the packaging in which each explosive is imported must conform to the description of the packaging set out in the explosive’s authorization.
Marginal note:Information on explosives
(2) A holder of an import permit must ensure that the following information is displayed on each explosive to be imported:
(a) the name and address of the person who obtained the explosive’s authorization;
(b) either the date of its Footnote *manufacture and the shift during which it was manufactured, if any, or its lot number;
(c) its Footnote *product name; and
(d) instructions, in both English and French, for its safe handling, storage, use and destruction.
Marginal note:Manner of displaying information
(3) A holder of an import permit must ensure that the information
(a) is legibly printed on the explosive;
(b) is legibly printed on a label affixed to the explosive, if it is not possible to comply with paragraph (a);
(c) is contained in a barcode or matrix code that is printed on the explosive, or on a label affixed to it, and can be read by a device that is available to the general public (for example, a smartphone), if it is not possible to comply with paragraph (a) and (b); or
(d) is legibly printed on the packaging containing the explosive or on a label affixed to the packaging, if it is not possible to comply with paragraphs (a) to (c).
(4) Paragraph 2(d) does not apply in the case of fireworks that are imported for use at a tour or international competition if the instructions are printed in a language understood by the person who will use the fireworks.
Marginal note:Information on packaging
(5) A holder of an import permit must ensure that the following information is legibly printed on the packaging, or on a label affixed to the packaging, of each explosive to be imported:
(a) the words “Ammunition/Munitions”, “Explosives/Explosifs”, “Fireworks/Pièces pyrotechniques”, “Pyrotechnics/Pièces pyrotechniques” or “Rocket Motors/Moteurs de fusée”, as the case may be, on the outer packaging and any inner packaging;
(b) the Footnote *product name of the explosive and the name and address of the person who obtained its authorization, on the outer packaging;
(c) in the case of a type F explosive, whether it is type F.1, F.2, F.3 or F.4, on the outer packaging; and
(d) in the case of a type S explosive, whether it is type S.1 or S.2, on the outer packaging.
Marginal note:Printing deadline
(6) A holder of an import permit must ensure that the information to be printed on an explosive and its packaging is printed on them before the explosive is distributed and in any case no later than 15 days after the date on which the explosive is released under section 31 of the Customs Act.
(7) A holder of an import permit must complete, sign and send to the Chief Inspector of Explosives a report using the form provided by the Department of Natural Resources. The report must include the following information:
(a) the holder’s name, address, telephone number, fax number and email address;
(b) the holder’s permit number and its expiry date;
(c) the Footnote *product name and UN number of each explosive that was imported and the name of the person who obtained its authorization;
(d) the quantity and UN number of each type of explosive;
(e) the country of origin of each explosive;
(f) the means of transport used;
(g) the location of the Canadian port of entry through which each explosive passed; and
(h) the date of the report and the name of the person who completed the report.
Marginal note:Deadline — annual permit
(8) A holder of an annual permit must submit the report before the permit is renewed or, if the permit is not renewed, within a year after it expires. The report must be submitted even if no explosives were imported during the year for which the permit was valid.
Marginal note:Deadline — single use permit
(9) A holder of a single use permit must submit the report within 30 days after the date on which the explosives were imported.
(10) Subsections (7) to (9) do not apply to a holder that reports the importation of explosives by electronic means in accordance with section 4 of the Reporting of Imported Goods Regulations.
Return to footnote *Terms preceded by an asterisk are defined in section 6.
- SOR/2016-75, ss. 7, 39
- Date modified: