Explosives Regulations, 2013
Marginal note:Age of driver
Marginal note:No smoking
(2) A person must not smoke while they are in a vehicle that contains explosives, or while they are Footnote *attending one.
Marginal note:Performance-diminishing substance
(3) A person who is under the influence of alcohol or another performance-diminishing substance must not be in or attend a vehicle that contains explosives. However, a person who has taken a prescription drug may be in or attend a vehicle containing explosives if they have medical proof that they need the drug and that it will not impede their ability to function safely.
Marginal note:Performance-diminishing substance — possession
(4) A driver and any person assisting the driver must not carry alcohol or another performance-diminishing substance for their personal use while transporting explosives.
Marginal note:No stopping on route
(5) The driver of a vehicle transporting explosives must not stop en route unnecessarily. If a stop is necessary, the driver must stop for no longer than required under the circumstances and must park the vehicle away from areas where people gather.
(6) In the case of a mechanical breakdown of a vehicle transporting explosives, the driver must ensure that repairs to the vehicle are done at the location of the breakdown only if doing the repair work will not increase the likelihood of an ignition and that the work is done by a person who understands the hazards to which they could be exposed and who is competent to carry out their duties in a manner that is safe, lawful and ensures the security of the vehicle.
(7) The driver of a vehicle transporting explosives must follow dangerous goods routes. If there are no dangerous goods routes, the driver must, if possible, avoid routes that pass through densely populated areas.
Marginal note:Maintaining separation
(8) A driver of a vehicle transporting more than 2 000 kg of explosives must maintain a distance of at least 300 m between their vehicle and any other vehicle that is transporting more than 2 000 kg of explosives.
Marginal note:Towed vehicle
(9) Except at a mine site or quarry, the driver of a vehicle transporting explosives must ensure that the vehicle is not towed unless the Minister or a police officer directs that it be towed because of an emergency or a breakdown.
Return to footnote *Terms preceded by an asterisk are defined in section 6.
- SOR/2016-75, s. 38
- SOR/2018-231, s. 24
- Date modified: