Health of Animals Regulations
148 (1) Subject to subsections (2), (3) and (7), no person shall confine in a railway car, motor vehicle, aircraft or vessel
(a) equines, swine or other monogastric animals for longer than 36 hours; or
(b) cattle, sheep, goats or other ruminants for longer than 48 hours.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to ruminants that will reach their final destination in Canada where they may be fed, watered and rested without being confined longer than 52 hours.
(3) No person shall confine chicks of any species without food and water for longer than 72 hours from the time of hatching.
(4) Livestock that is unloaded from a railway car, motor vehicle, aircraft or vessel to be fed, watered and rested before the livestock is re-loaded, shall be unloaded into a pen, rested for not less than five hours, provided with an ample quantity of suitable food and potable ice-free water, and before the livestock is re-loaded, the floor of the railway car, motor vehicle, aircraft or vessel shall be littered with straw, wood shavings or other bedding material.
(5) A pen in which livestock is unloaded pursuant to subsection (4) shall provide
(a) sufficient space for all the livestock to lie down at the same time;
(b) properly designed racks and troughs for feeding and watering the livestock;
(c) well-drained and clean floors of concrete or gravel that provide safe footing;
(d) an adequate amount of straw or other litter to bed the livestock; and
(e) protection from inclement weather.
(6) Every sea carrier shall
(a) provide a sufficient amount of suitable food and water for animals carried on a vessel, having regard to the expected duration of the voyage;
(b) provide, in addition to the requirements of paragraph (a), two days supply of food and water for each estimated eight days of the voyage;
(c) store such food and water in a sanitary manner and in a place not unduly exposed to the weather; and
(d) provide sufficient water pipes and taps on the vessel for watering the animals.
(7) Subsection (1) does not apply to animals if
(a) the railway car, motor vehicle, aircraft or vessel is suitably equipped to feed, water and rest the animals; and
(b) the animals are fed, watered and rested at intervals of not more than 48 hours in the case of ruminants and not more than 36 hours in the case of monogastric animals.
- SOR/97-85, s. 82
- Date modified: