Canada Student Financial Assistance Act
Marginal note:Issue of certificates
12 (1) Subject to the regulations, the appropriate authority for a province designated under paragraph 3(1)(a) may, on application, issue or cause to be issued a certificate of eligibility in the prescribed form, for a period of studies at a designated educational institution in Canada or outside Canada, to a qualifying student whom that authority considers
(a) to have attained a satisfactory scholastic standard; and
(b) to be in need of financial assistance.
Marginal note:Amount needed
(2) Where the appropriate authority considers that a qualifying student meets the criteria set out in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b), it shall determine the amount the student needs, taking into consideration
(a) the program of studies in which the qualifying student is registered;
(b) the cost of books and other course-related supplies; and
(c) whether the qualifying student is enrolled in an institution outside the province of residence of the student.
(3) A certificate of eligibility must set out the social insurance number of the qualifying student and the maximum amount of the financial assistance that may be given to the student.
Marginal note:Maximum amount for certain full-time students
(4) In the case of a full-time student, the maximum amount, for a province, of a student loan prescribed by regulations made under paragraph 15(j), and in respect of which a certificate of eligibility is issued, is the lesser of
(a) the amount prescribed for that province, and
(b) the product obtained by multiplying
(i) the amount determined under subsection (2) for the student
(ii) the percentage prescribed for that province.
(5) The amount referred to in paragraph (4)(a) may be adjusted annually by an escalator determined in accordance with the prescribed formula.
Marginal note:Maximum amount for part-time students
(6) In the case of a part-time student, the maximum amount, for a province, of a student loan in respect of which a certificate of eligibility is issued is the prescribed amount.
Marginal note:Maximum amount
(7) The maximum amount of financial assistance in respect of which a certificate of eligibility is issued, other than a loan to which subsection (4) or (6) applies, is the prescribed amount, or the amount calculated in accordance with the prescribed formulas.
(8) The maximum amount of financial assistance in respect of which a certificate of eligibility is not required is the prescribed amount, or the amount calculated in accordance with the prescribed formulas.
- Date modified: