Public Service Employment Act
Marginal note:Complaint to Board re lay-off
65 (1) Where some but not all of the employees in a part of an organization are informed by the deputy head that they will be laid off, any employee selected for lay-off may make a complaint to the Board, in the manner and within the time fixed by the Board’s regulations, that his or her selection constituted an abuse of authority.
(2) No complaint may be made under subsection (1) against the decision to lay off employees, the determination of the part of the organization from which employees will be laid off or the number of employees to be laid off from that part.
Marginal note:Right to be heard
(3) A complainant, every other employee in the part of the organization referred to in subsection (1), the deputy head and the Commission — or their representatives — are entitled to be heard by the Board.
Marginal note:Lay-off set aside
(4) Where the Board finds a complaint under subsection (1) to be substantiated, it may set aside the decision of the deputy head to lay off the complainant and order the deputy head to take any corrective action that it considers appropriate, other than the lay-off of any employee.
Marginal note:Notice to Canadian Human Rights Commission
(5) Where a complaint raises an issue involving the interpretation or application of the Canadian Human Rights Act, the complainant shall, in accordance with the regulations of the Board, notify the Canadian Human Rights Commission of the issue.
Marginal note:Canadian Human Rights Commission
(6) Where the Canadian Human Rights Commission is notified of an issue pursuant to subsection (5), it may make submissions to the Board with respect to that issue.
Marginal note:Application of Canadian Human Rights Act
(7) In considering whether a complaint is substantiated, the Board may interpret and apply the Canadian Human Rights Act, other than its provisions relating to the right to equal pay for work of equal value.
Marginal note:Relief for discrimination
- 2003, c. 22, s. 12 "65"
- 2013, c. 40, s. 414
- Date modified: