Canadian Navigable Waters Act
Marginal note:Permitted works
9 (1) An owner may construct, place, alter, repair, rebuild, remove or decommission a work in, on, over, under, through or across any navigable water that is listed in the schedule that the Minister has determined under section 5 is not likely to substantially interfere with navigation only if the construction, placement, alteration, repair, rebuilding, removal or decommissioning is in accordance with the requirements under this Act.
Marginal note:Terms and conditions
(2) The Minister may impose any term or condition that he or she considers appropriate on the construction, placement, alteration, repair, rebuilding, removal, decommissioning, maintenance, operation, safety or use of the work including the designation of an area contiguous with a work that is necessary for the safety of persons and navigation.
(3) In addition, the Minister may require, as a term or condition, that the owner give security in the form of a letter of credit, guarantee, suretyship or indemnity bond or insurance or any other form satisfactory to the Minister.
Marginal note:Compliance with requirements
(4) The owner shall comply with the terms and conditions imposed under subsections (2) and (3) and maintain, operate and use the work in accordance with the requirements under this Act.
Marginal note:Amendment of terms and conditions
(5) The Minister may amend or revoke any term or condition.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-22, s. 9
- 1993, c. 41, s. 8
- 2009, c. 2, s. 324
- 2012, c. 31, s. 318
- Date modified: