Marginal note:Additional judges
24 (1) Notwithstanding sections 12 to 22 but subject to subsections (3) and (4), where the number of judges of a superior court in a province has been increased by or pursuant to an Act of the legislature of the province beyond the number of judges of that court whose salaries are provided for by sections 12 to 22, a salary is payable pursuant to this section to each additional judge, appointed to that court in accordance with that Act and in the manner provided by law, from the time that judge’s appointment becomes effective and in the same manner and subject to the same terms and conditions as if the salary were payable under sections 12 to 22.
Marginal note:Salaries fixed
(2) The salary of a judge appointed in the circumstances described in subsection (1) is the salary annexed, pursuant to sections 12 to 22, to the office of judge to which the appointment is made.
(3) Subject to subsection (4), the number of salaries that may be paid pursuant to this section at any one time shall not be greater than
(a) 16, in the case of judges appointed to appeal courts in the provinces; and
(b) 62, in the case of judges appointed to superior courts in the provinces other than appeal courts.
(c) [Repealed, 1992, c. 51, s. 7]
Marginal note:Unified family courts
(4) For the purposes of assisting the establishment of unified family courts in the provinces, a further number of salaries not greater than thirty-six at any one time may be paid in the case of judges appointed to courts described in paragraph (3)(b)
(a) where the court has the jurisdiction of a unified family court; or
(b) where a request has been made by a provincial attorney general for the appointment to the court of judges to exercise the jurisdiction of a unified family court.
Marginal note:Salary deemed payable under sections 12 to 22
(5) A salary payable to a judge under this section is deemed, for all purposes of the provisions of this Act, other than this section, and of any other Act of Parliament, to be a salary payable under sections 12 to 22.
Marginal note:Definition of appeal court
(6) In this section, appeal court means, in relation to each of the Provinces of Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Manitoba, British Columbia, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan, Alberta and Newfoundland and Labrador, the Court of Appeal of the Province.
- R.S., 1985, c. J-1, s. 24
- R.S., 1985, c. 41 (1st Supp.), s. 10, c. 27 (2nd Supp.), s. 3
- 1989, c. 8, s. 9
- 1992, c. 51, s. 7
- 1996, c. 30, s. 1
- 1998, c. 30, s. 3
- 2006, c. 11, s. 3
- 2008, c. 26, s. 1
- 2015, c. 3, s. 126
- 2017, c. 20, s. 211
- Date modified: