Hazardous Products Act
Marginal note:Minister’s request for disclosure
20 (1) Where the Minister has reason to believe that a product, material or substance is a product, material or substance that may be included in a class listed in Schedule II by a regulation made pursuant to paragraph 15(1)(a), the Minister may, by registered mail, send a written notice to any person who is engaged in the business of manufacturing, processing, importing, packaging or selling the product, material or substance requesting the disclosure of information relating to the formula, composition, chemical ingredients or hazardous properties of the product, material or substance and such other information as the Minister deems necessary for the purpose of determining whether the product, material or substance is or may be a danger to the health or safety of any person who may handle it in a work place or be exposed to it in a work place.
(2) Every person to whom a notice referred to in subsection (1) is sent shall disclose to the Minister, in the manner and within the period specified by the Minister in the notice, any information described in that subsection that is requested in the notice and is in the possession of the person.
Marginal note:Information privileged
(3) Subject to subsection (4), information received by the Minister from a person pursuant to subsection (1) is privileged and, notwithstanding the Access to Information Act or any other Act or law, shall not be disclosed to any other person except as may be necessary for the administration or enforcement of this section or for the purposes of section 15.
(4) The Minister shall not, when consulting with the government of a province or an organization of workers, organization of employers or organization of suppliers pursuant to section 19, for the purposes of section 15, disclose the name of any person from whom the Minister has received information pursuant to subsection (1) or any of such information that is specified, in writing, by the person as being confidential.
- R.S., 1985, c. H-3, s. 20
- R.S., 1985, c. 24 (3rd Supp.), s. 1
- Date modified: