Marginal note:Debts to Her Majesty
97.22 (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), any duties, fee, charge or other amount owing or payable under this Act is a debt due to Her Majesty in right of Canada from and after the time such amount should have been paid, and any person from whom the amount is owing shall, after a notice of arrears is sent by mail addressed to the person at their latest known address or delivered to that address, pay the amount owing as indicated in the notice or appeal the notice under section 97.23.
Marginal note:Penalty or ascertained forfeiture
(2) Any amount of money demanded as a penalty in a notice of assessment served under section 109.3 and any interest payable under section 109.5 or any amount of money demanded in a notice under section 124 and any interest payable under subsection 124(6), from and after the time of service, is a debt due to Her Majesty in right of Canada from the person on whom the notice is served and the person shall pay that amount or, within ninety days after the time of service, request a decision of the Minister under section 131.
Marginal note:Amounts demanded by the Minister
(3) Any amount of money demanded under paragraph 133(1)(c) or (1.1)(b) and any interest payable under subsection 133(7), from and after the time notice is served under subsection 131(2), is a debt due to Her Majesty in right of Canada from the person who requested the decision and the person shall pay the amount so demanded or, if the person appeals the decision of the Minister under section 135, give security satisfactory to the Minister.
Marginal note:Court costs
(4) If an amount is payable by a person to Her Majesty in right of Canada because of an order, judgment or award of a court in respect of the costs of litigation relating to a matter to which this Act applies, sections 97.24, 97.26, 97.28 and 97.3 to 97.33 apply to the amount as if the amount were a debt owing by the person to Her Majesty on account of duties payable by the person under this Act.
(5) Any amount payable under this Act is recoverable in the Federal Court or any other court of competent jurisdiction or in any other manner provided under this Part.
Marginal note:Interest on judgments
(6) If a judgment is obtained for any amount payable under this Act, including a certificate registered under section 97.24, the provisions of this Act under which interest is payable for failure to pay the amount apply, with any modifications that the circumstances require, to a failure to pay the judgment debt, and the interest is recoverable in the same manner as the judgment debt.
- 2001, c. 25, s. 58
- Date modified: