Marginal note:Render of accused by sureties
766 (1) A surety for a person who is subject to a release order or recognizance may, by an application in writing to a court, provincial court judge or justice, apply to be relieved of their obligation under the release order or recognizance, and the court, provincial court judge or justice shall then make an order in writing for committal of that person to the prison named in that order.
(2) An order issued by a court, provincial court judge or justice under subsection (1) must be given to the surety and, on receipt of it, the surety or any peace officer may arrest the person named in the order and deliver that person with the order to the keeper of the prison named in the order, and the keeper shall receive and imprison that person until the person is discharged according to law.
Marginal note:Certificate and entry of render
(3) If a court, provincial court judge or justice issues an order under subsection (1) and receives from the sheriff a certificate that the person named in the order has been committed to prison under subsection (2), the court, provincial court judge or justice shall order an entry of the committal to be endorsed on the release order or recognizance, as the case may be.
Marginal note:Discharge of sureties
(4) An endorsement under subsection (3) cancels the release order or recognizance, as the case may be, and discharges the sureties.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 766
- R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 203
- 2019, c. 25, s. 310
- Date modified: