Marginal note:Exclusion of public
486 (1) Any proceedings against an accused shall be held in open court, but the presiding judge or justice may, on application of the prosecutor or a witness or on his or her own motion, order the exclusion of all or any members of the public from the court room for all or part of the proceedings, or order that the witness testify behind a screen or other device that would allow the witness not to be seen by members of the public, if the judge or justice is of the opinion that such an order is in the interest of public morals, the maintenance of order or the proper administration of justice or is necessary to prevent injury to international relations or national defence or national security.
(1.1) The application may be made, during the proceedings, to the presiding judge or justice or, before the proceedings begin, to the judge or justice who will preside at the proceedings or, if that judge or justice has not been determined, to any judge or justice having jurisdiction in the judicial district where the proceedings will take place.
Marginal note:Protection of witnesses under 18 and justice system participants
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), the “proper administration of justice” includes ensuring that
(a) the interests of witnesses under the age of eighteen years are safeguarded in all proceedings; and
(b) justice system participants who are involved in the proceedings are protected.
Marginal note:Reasons to be stated
(3) If an accused is charged with an offence under section 151, 152, 153, 153.1, 155 or 159, subsection 160(2) or (3) or section 163.1, 170, 171, 171.1, 172, 172.1, 172.2, 173, 271, 272, 273, 279.01, 279.011, 279.02, 279.03, 286.1, 286.2 or 286.3 and the prosecutor or the accused applies for an order under subsection (1), the judge or justice shall, if no such order is made, state, by reference to the circumstances of the case, the reason for not making an order.
Marginal note:No adverse inference
(4) No adverse inference may be drawn from the fact that an order is, or is not, made under this section.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 486
- R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 203, c. 19 (3rd Supp.), s. 14, c. 23 (4th Supp.), s. 1
- 1992, c. 1, s. 60(F), c. 21, s. 9
- 1993, c. 45, s. 7
- 1997, c. 16, s. 6
- 1999, c. 25, s. 2(Preamble)
- 2001, c. 32, s. 29, c. 41, ss. 16, 34, 133
- 2002, c. 13, s. 20
- 2005, c. 32, s. 15, c. 43, ss. 4, 8
- 2010, c. 3, s. 4
- 2012, c. 1, s. 28
- 2014, c. 25, s. 21
- 2015, c. 20, s. 21
- Date modified: