Canada Transportation Act
Marginal note:Decision of arbitrator
165 (1) The decision of the arbitrator in conducting a final offer arbitration shall be the selection by the arbitrator of the final offer of either the shipper or the carrier.
Marginal note:Requirements re decision
(2) The decision of the arbitrator shall
(a) be in writing;
(b) unless the parties agree otherwise, be rendered within 60 days or, in the case of an arbitration conducted in accordance with section 164.1, 30 days after the date on which the submission for the final offer arbitration was received by the Agency; and
(c) unless the parties agree otherwise, be rendered so as to apply to the parties for a period of one year or any lesser period that may be appropriate, having regard to the negotiations between the parties that preceded the arbitration.
Marginal note:Incorporation in tariff
(3) The carrier shall, without delay after the arbitrator’s decision, set out the rate or rates or the conditions associated with the movement of goods that have been selected by the arbitrator in a tariff of the carrier, unless, where the carrier is entitled to keep the rate or rates or conditions confidential, the parties to the arbitration agree to include the rate or rates or conditions in a contract that the parties agree to keep confidential.
Marginal note:Reasons not required
(4) No reasons shall be set out in the decision of the arbitrator.
Marginal note:Reasons may be requested
(5) The arbitrator shall, if requested by all of the parties to the arbitration within 30 days or, in the case of an arbitration conducted in accordance with section 164.1, seven days after the decision of the arbitrator, give written reasons for the decision.
Marginal note:Application of decision
(6) Except where both parties agree otherwise,
(a) the decision of the arbitrator on a final offer arbitration shall be final and binding and be applicable to the parties as of the date on which the submission for the arbitration was received by the Agency from the shipper, and is enforceable as if it were an order of the Agency; and
(b) the arbitrator shall direct in the decision that interest at a reasonable rate specified by the arbitrator shall be paid to one of the parties by the other on moneys that, as a result of the application of paragraph (a), are owed by a party for the period between the date referred to in that paragraph and the date of the payment.
Marginal note:Payment by party
(7) Moneys and interest referred to in paragraph (6)(b) that are owed by a party pursuant to a decision of the arbitrator shall be paid without delay to the other party.
- 1996, c. 10, s. 165
- 2000, c. 16, s. 16
- Date modified: