Canada Transportation Act
Marginal note:Shipper and connecting carriers must agree
131 (1) A competitive line rate must not be established unless the shipper agrees with the connecting carrier, and with any other company, other than the local carrier, that moves traffic over a portion of the continuous route, on the terms and conditions governing their movement of the traffic, including the applicable rate.
Marginal note:No other rate applies
(2) If an interswitching rate determined under paragraph 128(1)(b) is available for a portion of the route operated by the local carrier, no other rate may be applied to that portion of the route.
Marginal note:Movement on flat cars or less than carload traffic
(3) A competitive line rate must not be established for the movement of trailers on flat cars, containers on flat cars or less than carload traffic, unless they arrive at a port in Canada by water for movement by rail or by rail for movement by water.
Marginal note:Maximum portion of traffic
(4) The portion of a movement of traffic in respect of which a competitive line rate may be established must not exceed 50 per cent of the total number of kilometres over which the traffic is moved by rail or 1 200 km, whichever is greater.
(5) On application of a shipper, the Agency may establish a competitive line rate for a greater portion of a movement of traffic if the Agency is satisfied that no interchange exists within the maximum portion referred to in subsection (4).
Marginal note:No other rates may be established
(6) If a competitive line rate has been established for a movement of traffic of a shipper, no other competitive line rate may be established in respect of that movement while the rate is in effect.
- Date modified: