RESPONSIBILITY OF OWNERS
3. The owner of a plant shall ensure that the operator operates the plant in accordance with these Regulations.
RELEASE OF VINYL CHLORIDE
4. (1) No operator of a vinyl chloride plant shall release from any process vent vinyl chloride in excess of both
(a) 10 ppm by volume; and
(b) 2 kg per day.
(2) No operator of a polyvinyl chloride plant shall release vinyl chloride in excess of
(a) 0.002 kg per 100 kg of polyvinyl chloride produced by a polymerization reactor since the time the polymerization reactor was last opened, where the polymerization reactor is opened;
(b) 0.02 kg per 100 kg of polyvinyl chloride produced in the manufacture of homopolymer suspension polymerized resins, from all sources downstream of the slurry stripper;
(c) 0.04 kg per 100 kg of polyvinyl chloride produced in the manufacture of bulk polymerized resins, from all sources downstream of the resin stripper; or
(d) 0.2 kg per 100 kg of polyvinyl chloride produced in the manufacture of dispersion polymerized resins or the manufacture of copolymer resins, from all sources downstream of the slurry stripper.
(3) No operator of a polyvinyl chloride plant shall release from any process vent vinyl chloride the concentration of which exceeds 10 ppm by volume, including the release as a result of
(a) the operation of the vinyl chloride recovery system;
(b) the exhausting and purging procedures for a polymerization reactor, slurry stripper or resin stripper;
(c) the slurry stripping or resin stripping procedures; or
(d) the depressurizing of the polymerization reactor by manual venting or other depressurizing procedures that are used as a means of controlling operating conditions.
(4) Subject to subsection (5), no operator shall release vinyl chloride from any source other than from a process vent, a polymerization reactor that is opened, or any other source referred to in subsections (1) to (3).
(5) Subsection (4) does not apply to the operator in respect of the release of fugitive emissions if the operator has implemented a plan referred to in section 9.
(6) For the purposes of this section, the concentration or quantity of vinyl chloride released shall be measured by the appropriate test method described in the Standard Reference Method.
(7) Notwithstanding subsection (6), the concentration or quantity of vinyl chloride released shall be determined by estimations and calculations obtained from the information available where the appropriate test method described in the Standard Reference Method cannot be used.
INFORMATION AND SAMPLES
5. (1) The Minister may, at any time, request that the operator submit to the Minister
(a) any information referred to in Schedules I to VI; and
(b) any sample of vinyl chloride and any information that relates to the sample.
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(b), an enforcement officer shall be present whenever a sample is taken if the Minister so requests.
(3) The operator shall submit the information or sample within the time specified in the Minister’s request.
- SOR/2000-102, s. 20.
- Date modified: