Teaching First Aid
16.12 (1) The courses for the basic first aid certificate and for the standard first aid certificate shall include the subjects set out in Schedule V.
(2) Basic, standard and advanced first aid attendant training courses, including wilderness first aid courses, shall be given by a qualified person who holds a valid certification from an approved organization attesting that they are competent to deliver first aid training.
(3) For advanced first aid, including wilderness first aid, the employer shall determine, in consultation with the workplace committee or the health and safety representative, the first aid training requirements for the workplace, having regard to the particular nature of the workplace.
(4) The employer shall review the training program with respect to advanced first aid, including wilderness first aid, in consultation with the workplace committee or the health and safety representative at least once every three years and whenever there is a change of circumstances that may affect the content of the training.
(5) Basic, standard and advanced first aid certificates, including wilderness first aid courses, are valid for a maximum of three years from the date of issue.
- SOR/88-632, s. 75;
- SOR/2000-328, s. 2;
- SOR/2002-208, s. 35;
- SOR/2012-271, s. 3.
16.13 (1) If first aid is required by this Part to be rendered, the first aid attendant who renders the first aid shall
(a) enter in a first aid record the following information:
(i) the date and time of the reporting of the injury or illness,
(ii) the full name of the injured or ill employee,
(iii) the date, time and location of the occurrence of the injury or illness,
(iv) a brief description of the injury or illness,
(v) a brief description of the first aid rendered, if any,
(vi) a brief description of arrangements made for the treatment or transportation of the injured or ill employee, and
(vii) the names of witnesses, if applicable; and
(b) sign the first aid record beneath the information entered in accordance with paragraph (a).
(2) The information referred to in subsection (1) shall be entered
(a) if first aid was rendered to an employee at a remote workplace detached from the main party or on a snowmobile or other small vehicle, in the first aid record stored in the first aid kit at the site of the main party or work site; and
(b) in any other case, in the first aid record stored in the first aid kit.
(3) The employer shall keep a first aid record containing information entered in accordance with subsection (2) for a period of two years beginning on the date of that entry.
(4) Persons with access to first aid records shall keep the information contained in the records confidential, except as required for the purposes of meeting reporting obligations under Part XV.
(5) On receiving a written request from a workers’ compensation authority for the province where the workplace is located or a medical practitioner, the employer shall provide an employee with a copy of the first aid record pertaining to the employee’s treatment.
(6) The employer shall maintain a record of the expiry dates of the first aid certificates of the first aid attendants and make it readily available to them.
- SOR/2000-328, s. 2.
- Date modified: