Catching and Landing of Groundfish
93.2 [Repealed, SOR/2011-39, s. 4]
93.3 (1) Despite section 33 of the Fishery (General) Regulations and subject to subsection (2), no person shall return to the water a groundfish caught while fishing for groundfish under the authority of a commercial licence.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if a condition of the licence authorizes or requires the return of the groundfish to the water.
- SOR/93-16, s. 6;
- SOR/93-61, s. 31;
- SOR/2007-20, s. 3.
94. In this part,
- “basket drag rake”
“basket drag rake” means a drag rake with an apparatus attached to the rear and forward portions so as to form an enclosure; (râteau traînant à panier)
“District” means a harvesting district described in Schedule XXVI; (arrondissement)
- “drag rake”
“drag rake” means any gear that is towed over the ocean floor by a vessel for the purpose of collecting marine plants; (râteau traînant)
- “hand rake”
“hand rake” means any gear that is moved manually over the ocean floor for the purpose of collecting marine plants; (râteau manuel)
“holdfast”, in relation to a marine plant, means that portion of the marine plant by which it is attached to the ocean floor. (pied)
Harvesting Methods and Gear
95. (1) Subject to the conditions of a licence, no person shall harvest rockweed unless he
(a) uses an instrument that severs with a cutting action; and
(b) leaves a length of at least 127 mm above the holdfast.
(2) No person shall have in his possession any rockweed plant to which the holdfast is attached.
(3) Subject to the conditions of a licence, no person shall use a drag rake to harvest Irish moss in
(a) that portion of District 1 bounded as follows: commencing from the point at a wooden stake bearing Prince Edward Island Grid Co-ordinate Values N-264973.75 and E-209559.48, thence in a westerly direction on a magnetic bearing of 313°00′ a distance of 700 m to a water buoy, thence in a northerly direction on a magnetic bearing of 43°00′ a distance of approximately 619 m to a water buoy, thence in an easterly direction on a magnetic bearing of 113°00′ a distance of 515 m to a wooden stake on the shore, and thence in a southerly direction on a magnetic bearing of 203°11′ a distance of approximately 644 m to the place of beginning; or
(b) that portion of Districts 2 and 3 lying between a line bearing 35° true from Latitude 46°34′37″N., Longitude 63°42′50″W. (Malpeque Harbor Light) and a line bearing 360° true from Latitude 46°24′35″N., Longitude 63°02′32″W. (Tracadie Range Light).
(4) Subject to the conditions of a licence, no person shall use a basket drag rake to harvest marine plants.
(5) Subject to the conditions of a licence, no person shall harvest Irish moss in District 12 with a hand rake if the distance between the tines of the hand rake is less than 5 mm.
- Date modified: