8. The following definitions apply in this Part.
- “accommodation ladder”
“accommodation ladder” means a means of access to and egress from a vessel that may include platforms on different levels with ladders between the platforms and that
(a) is suspended by a supporting structure of chains or steel wire ropes from its lowest suspension point;
(b) is hinged at its top; and
(c) can be moved so that the lowest platform is accessible from shore. (échelle de coupée)
“scaffold” means a working platform supported from below. (échafaudage)
“stage” means a working platform supported from above. (plate-forme suspendue)
9. This Part applies to permanent and temporary structures, means of access, gangways, scaffolds, stages, ladders, guardrails, toe boards and safety nets.
Design and Construction
10. The employer must ensure that the design and construction of every structure on a vessel meets the applicable requirements set out in one or more of the following regulations:
(c) Small Vessel Regulations; or
11. (1) An employee must not use a temporary structure on a vessel if it is reasonably practicable to use a permanent structure.
(2) An employee must not use a temporary structure unless
(a) they have been trained and instructed in its safe and proper use; and
(b) they have their employer’s authority to use it.
(3) Tools, equipment and materials used on a temporary structure must be arranged or secured in a manner that they cannot be knocked off the structure accidentally.
(4) A qualified person must make a visual inspection of the temporary structure before each work period in which a temporary structure is used by an employee.
(5) When a temporary structure is used on a vessel and that structure may be affected by the ingress and egress of the tide, a qualified person must make a visual inspection of the structure at the end of each tide cycle.
(6) If the inspection reveals a defect or condition that adversely affects the structural integrity or safe use of a temporary structure, a person must not use the structure until the defect or condition is remedied.
- Date modified: