Marginal note:Management Plan
27. In considering whether to issue a permit for the purpose of section 15 of the Act in relation to a specially protected area, the Minister must take into account the Management Plan for the specially protected area.
Marginal note:Content of permits
28. Any permit issued for the purpose of section 15 of the Act in relation to a specially protected area
(a) must be accompanied by the sections of the Management Plan for the specially protected area that are relevant to the activity for which the permit was sought; and
(b) must specify
(i) the extent and location of the specially protected area,
(ii) the activities that are authorized in relation to the specially protected area,
(iii) when, where and by whom the activities may be conducted, and
(iv) any other conditions that are imposed by the Management Plan.
Marginal note:Area without Management Plan
29. In the case of a specially protected area that does not have a Management Plan, any activities authorized by a permit issued for the purpose of section 15 of the Act must be for a compelling scientific purpose that cannot be served elsewhere and must not jeopardize the natural ecological system in the area.
- SOR/2010-196, s. 3.
30. If wastes are mixed with another substance and the substances in the mixture are subject to different requirements under sections 31 to 33 and 37 to 46, the most stringent of the requirements under those sections that apply to any of the substances apply to the mixture.
- SOR/2010-196, s. 4(F).
31. Each permit holder who must remove wastes from the Antarctic or otherwise dispose of them must store them, until they are removed or disposed of, in such a way as to prevent their dispersal into the environment.
Marginal note:Removal of wastes
32. The permit holder must return wastes that are removed from the Antarctic to the country from which the activities generating the waste were organized or to any other country in which arrangements have been made for the disposal of the wastes in accordance with relevant international agreements.
Marginal note:Field camp wastes
33. The permit holder must take all reasonable steps to move the wastes generated at a field camp to
(a) the station or vessel from which the field camp is supported; or
(b) another station or vessel if the permit holder has arranged for the wastes to be managed there in accordance with Annex III to the Protocol.
- Date modified: