Marginal note:Obligations — agents
61. (1) An agent of a practitioner of medicine referred to in subsection 59(1) must
(a) take reasonable steps to protect any targeted substance in their possession from loss and theft; and
(b) inform the practitioner without delay of any loss or theft of a targeted substance.
Marginal note:Obligations — practitioner of medicine
(2) A practitioner of medicine who is informed by their agent of loss or theft of a targeted substance must inform the Minister in accordance with section 7.
Marginal note:Request for renunciation
62. A practitioner who does not wish to receive or have possession of targeted substances may make a written request to the Minister to send to licensed dealers and pharmacies a notice issued under section 79 that states that
(a) recipients of the notice must not sell or provide any targeted substance to that practitioner; and
(b) pharmacists practising in the notified pharmacies must not fill a prescription or order for any targeted substance provided by that practitioner.
- SOR/2010-223, s. 29(E).
63. (1) A hospital may, in accordance with this Part, sell, provide, administer, send, deliver or transport a targeted substance.
Marginal note:Ordering targeted substances
(2) No person may order a targeted substance on behalf of a hospital other than a pharmacist or practitioner practising in the hospital who is authorized by the person in charge of the hospital to order targeted substances for the hospital.
Marginal note:Provision or administration to a patient
64. The person in charge of a hospital must not permit a targeted substance to be sold, provided or administered to a patient or animal under treatment as an in-patient or an out-patient of the hospital except pursuant to a prescription or other authorization of a practitioner practising in the hospital.
Marginal note:Supply to non-patients
65. (1) A pharmacist practising in a hospital or an individual who is authorized by the person in charge of a hospital to fill orders for targeted substances on behalf of the hospital may, on receipt of an order specifying the name, quantity and, if applicable, strength per unit of a targeted substance from any of the following persons, sell or provide the targeted substance to that person without a prescription:
(a) subject to subsection (2),
(i) a licensed dealer who
(A) sold or provided the substance, or
(B) is licensed to destroy targeted substances other than those that the licensed dealer produced, made, assembled, sold or provided,
(ii) a practitioner, if the practitioner states that the substance is required because of a delay or shortfall in an order for the substance placed with a licensed dealer or pharmacist,
(iii) a pharmacist, if the pharmacist states that the substance is required because of a delay or shortfall in an order for the substance placed with a licensed dealer, or
(iv) another hospital, if the order is placed by a pharmacist practising in the other hospital or a practitioner who is authorized to order the targeted substance on behalf of the other hospital and the order states that the substance is required because of a delay or shortfall in an order placed with a licensed dealer or a pharmacist;
(b) the Minister, if the order is a written order signed on the Minister’s behalf; and
(c) a person to whom an exemption with respect to the targeted substance has been granted under section 56 of the Act, if
(i) the person is an employee of or associated with the hospital, and
(ii) the order is a written order accompanied by a copy of the exemption.
Marginal note:Verbal orders
(2) In the circumstances set out in paragraph (1)(a), if the order is verbal, the pharmacist practising in the hospital or the individual who is authorized by the person in charge of the hospital to fill orders for the targeted substance on behalf of the hospital must, before filling the order, record the following information:
(a) the date on which the order was received;
(b) the name and address of the person placing the order;
(c) the brand name of the targeted substance or, if the targeted substance does not have a brand name, the specified name;
(d) the quantity of the targeted substance ordered; and
(e) their name.
- Date modified: