48. This Part, other than section 57, does not apply to a pharmacist when practising in a hospital.
49. A pharmacist may, in accordance with this Part, compound a targeted substance pursuant to a prescription.
Marginal note:Record of receipt from licensed dealer
50. If a pharmacist receives a targeted substance from a licensed dealer, a pharmacist in another pharmacy or a hospital, the pharmacist must keep a record of the following information:
(a) the brand name of the targeted substance received or, if the targeted substance does not have a brand name, the specified name;
(b) the quantity and strength per unit of the targeted substance received, the number of units per package and the number of packages;
(c) the name and address of the licensed dealer, pharmacist or hospital that supplied it; and
(d) the date on which it was received.
Marginal note:Prescription required
51. (1) In addition to the activities authorized under section 55, a pharmacist may, subject to section 52, sell, provide, send, deliver or transport a targeted substance to or for an individual or for the benefit of an animal if
(a) the pharmacist sells or provides the substance in a container labelled in accordance with subsection (2);
(b) the transaction is made pursuant to a prescription
(i) dated and signed by a practitioner,
(ii) provided verbally to the pharmacist by a practitioner, or
(iii) transferred to the pharmacist under subsection 54(1) in accordance with subsection 54(2);
(c) the pharmacist has not transferred the prescription to another pharmacist; and
(d) when the prescription has been provided verbally, the transaction is recorded by the pharmacist in accordance with subsection (3).
Marginal note:Labelling required
(2) A pharmacist who sells or provides a targeted substance to an individual must do so in a container that is labelled with the following information:
(a) the name and address of the pharmacy or pharmacist;
(b) the date of issuance of the prescription and the number given to it by the pharmacist;
(c) the name of the individual or animal for whose benefit the targeted substance is sold or provided;
(d) the name of the practitioner who issued the prescription;
(e) the specified name or brand name of the targeted substance;
(f) the quantity and, if applicable, the strength per unit of the targeted substance; and
(g) the directions for use specified by the practitioner.
Marginal note:Record of verbal prescription
(3) A pharmacist who receives a verbal prescription for a targeted substance must, before filling it,
(a) record the following information:
(i) the name and address of the individual or animal for whose benefit the prescription is provided,
(ii) the date that the verbal prescription was provided,
(iii) the specified name or brand name of the targeted substance, as specified in the prescription,
(iv) the quantity and, if applicable, the strength per unit of the targeted substance,
(v) the name of the recording pharmacist and the name of the practitioner who issued the prescription,
(vi) the directions for use specified by the practitioner, and
(vii) if the prescription is to be refilled, the number of times it may be refilled and, if specified, the interval between refills; and
(b) keep a hard copy or create a written record of the prescription.
- SOR/2010-223, s. 24.
- Date modified: