Customs Diplomatic Privileges Regulations
C.R.C., c. 522
Regulations Respecting Customs Diplomatic Privileges
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Customs Diplomatic Privileges Regulations.
2. In these Regulations,
- “chief officer of customs”
“chief officer of customs”, with respect to an area or place, means the manager of the customs office or customs offices that serve that area or place; (agent en chef des douanes)
“collector”[Revoked, SOR/88-86, s. 1]
“duty” or “duties”[Revoked, SOR/88-86, s. 1]
- “Deputy Minister”
“Deputy Minister” means the Deputy Minister of National Revenue for Customs and Excise; (sous-ministre)
- “of career”
“of career” means that persons so designated are nationals or citizens of the country they represent, and are not engaged in any business or profession other than their diplomatic or consular duties; (de carrière)
“tax” or “taxes”[Revoked, SOR/88-86, s. 1]
- SOR/88-86, s. 1.
3. [Revoked, SOR/88-86, s. 2]
IMPORTATION AT FREE RATES OF CUSTOMS DUTIES
4. Subject to sections 5 and 6, the privilege of importation at free rates of customs duties of articles for their personal or family use is extended to
(a) ambassadors, ministers, high commissioners and consuls general of career representing their countries in Canada;
(b) members of the diplomatic corps and staffs of high commissioners’ offices eligible for inclusion in the diplomatic list published by the Department of External Affairs;
(c) consuls of career;
(d) vice consuls of career;
(e) trade commissioners of career; and
(f) assistant trade commissioners of career.
- SOR/88-86, s. 3.
5. Application for the importation at free rates of customs duties of goods, other than motor vehicles, shall be made in writing to the chief officer of customs, a separate application being made for each importation.
- SOR/88-86, s. 4.
6. (1) Application for importation at free rates of customs duties of motor vehicles imported subsequent to first arrival in Canada, shall be made in the form set out in the schedule, and be forwarded by the applicant to the Deputy Minister.
(2) On approval of the application and receipt of the Free Rate of Customs Duties Importation Authorization in duplicate, the applicant shall present the Authorization, in duplicate, to the chief officer of customs at the customs office where the motor vehicles were reported. S0R/88-86, s. 5.
- Date modified: