50. Every election made by a person pursuant to section 62 of the Act shall be made by him in writing, in the form prescribed by the Minister, signed by the person making the election, and the original thereof shall be delivered or sent by registered mail to the Minister within the time prescribed by the Act for the making of such an election.
- SOR/92-717, s. 10.
Effective Dates of Becoming and Ceasing to be a Member of the Regular Force
51. For the purposes of Part II of the Act,
(a) the effective date upon which a person becomes a member of the regular force is,
(i) subject to subparagraph (ii), the day he enrols in that force,
(ii) where, for personal reasons, an officer or man is granted leave without pay and allowances with effect on the day he enrols in that force or on the day immediately following that day, the first day on which he reports for continuous full-time duty after the termination of such leave,
(iii) where he is deemed to have ceased to be a member of that force pursuant to section 44, the day on which he ceases to be absent without authority, and
(iv) where he is deemed under subsection 41(2) or (3) of the Act to have become re-enrolled in that force, the first day in the month following the month in which the continuous period of full-time service mentioned in that subsection actually expired; and
(b) the effective date upon which a person (other than a person who is an elective participant) ceases to be a member of the regular force is the last day in the month in respect of which he is or was required to contribute to the Regular Force Death Benefit Account.
- SOR/92-717, ss. 9(F), 10.
52. The times when the reductions referred to in the definition “basic benefit” in subsection 60(1) of the Act shall be made are as follows:
(a) in the case of an elective participant who ceased to be a member of the regular force and to whom an annuity or pension is not payable under the Act or the Defence Services Pension Continuation Act, each reduction shall be made on each anniversary of the day (that is on or that follows the 61st birthday of the participant, whichever occurs first), on which an annual contribution under the Act is payable; and
(b) in any case, other than the case mentioned in paragraph (a), each reduction shall be made on the first day of April or the first day of October whichever date immediately follows each anniversary of the birthday of the participant commencing with his 61st birthday.
- SOR/92-717, ss. 9(F), 10.
53. The Minister may direct that a part or all of a payment payable under Part II of the Act be paid
(a) to any person, group or association of persons towards the payment of any reasonable expenses incurred by such person, group or association of persons for the maintenance, medical care or burial of the participant; or
(b) to the Receiver General towards the payment of any reasonable expenses incurred by Her Majesty in right of Canada for the maintenance, medical care or burial of a participant.
- SOR/2001-76, s. 7.
- Date modified: