11. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall possess or transport a migratory bird unless at least one fully feathered wing is attached to the bird.
(2) The wing and the plumage thereon may be removed from a migratory bird
(a) when the bird is prepared for immediate cooking; or
(b) after the bird is taken to the residence of its owner for preservation.
- SOR/79-544, s. 5(F);
- SOR/2000-331, s. 3.
SALE, GIFT OR PURCHASE
12. (1) No person shall sell, expose for sale, offer for sale, trade, barter or buy migratory birds or the eggs, nests, carcasses or skins of migratory birds, except as authorized by these Regulations.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person acting under authority of a special permit in writing from the Minister.
- SOR/2005-198, s. 2.
12.1 (1) Subject to subsection (2), a person may possess, purchase, sell, barter or transport the feathers of migratory game birds for the purpose of making fishing flies, bedding, clothing or other similar uses if the feathers so used were obtained under the authority of a valid migratory game bird hunting permit.
(2) No person shall purchase, sell, barter or offer to purchase, sell or barter the feathers of migratory birds for millinery or ornamental use.
- SOR/85-694, s. 3;
- SOR/86-534, s. 3(E);
- SOR/2000-331, s. 3.
12.2 A person may give a migratory game bird to another person for the purpose of mounting or human consumption, or for the purpose of training dogs as retrievers, if the bird was killed under the authority of a migratory game bird hunting permit.
- SOR/95-432, s. 2.
13. (1) No person shall ship, transport or offer for shipment or transport a package or container of any kind that contains a migratory bird or a nest or egg thereof unless the exterior of the package or container is clearly marked with the name and address of the shipper, the number of any permit under which the birds, nests or eggs were taken and an accurate statement of the contents of the package or container.
(1.1) Subsections (1) and 10(3) do not apply to a person travelling in a private conveyance who is transporting the carcass of a migratory game bird that he or another occupant of the private conveyance has taken under the authority of a migratory game bird hunting permit.
(2) Subject to subsection (1), no person shall ship or transport carcasses of migratory birds taken under the authority of a migratory game bird hunting permit unless
(a) those birds were taken under a migratory game bird hunting permit in the open season specified for that species and that province in Schedule I;
(b) those birds are transported during the open season or within five days after its termination; and
(c) the number of those birds does not exceed the number specified in Schedule I as the possession limit for that species in that province.
(3) No person shall traffic between Canada, or the exclusive economic zone of Canada, and the United States in migratory birds, or the nests or eggs of migratory birds, that have been captured, killed, taken or shipped contrary to the laws applicable to the area in Canada, the exclusive economic zone of Canada or the United States in which those birds, nests or eggs were captured, killed, taken or shipped.
- SOR/80-577, s. 5;
- SOR/84-561, s. 1;
- SOR/2004-138, s. 1(F);
- SOR/2005-198, s. 3;
- SOR/2006-136, s. 1;
- SOR/2007-140, s. 1(F).
- Date modified: