Marginal note:Where the Information Commissioner recommends disclosure
29. (1) Where the head of a government institution decides, on the recommendation of the Information Commissioner made pursuant to subsection 37(1), to disclose a record requested under this Act or a part thereof, the head of the institution shall give written notice of the decision to
(a) the person who requested access to the record; and
(b) any third party that the head of the institution has notified under subsection 27(1) in respect of the request or would have notified under that subsection if the head of the institution had at the time of the request intended to disclose the record or part thereof.
Marginal note:Contents of notice
(2) A notice given under subsection (1) shall include
(a) a statement that any third party referred to in paragraph (1)(b) is entitled to request a review of the decision under section 44 within twenty days after the notice is given; and
(b) a statement that the person who requested access to the record will be given access thereto unless, within twenty days after the notice is given, a review of the decision is requested under section 44.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 111, Sch. I “29”.
Marginal note:Receipt and investigation of complaints
30. (1) Subject to this Act, the Information Commissioner shall receive and investigate complaints
(a) from persons who have been refused access to a record requested under this Act or a part thereof;
(b) from persons who have been required to pay an amount under section 11 that they consider unreasonable;
(c) from persons who have requested access to records in respect of which time limits have been extended pursuant to section 9 where they consider the extension unreasonable;
(d) from persons who have not been given access to a record or a part thereof in the official language requested by the person under subsection 12(2), or have not been given access in that language within a period of time that they consider appropriate;
(d.1) from persons who have not been given access to a record or a part thereof in an alternative format pursuant to a request made under subsection 12(3), or have not been given such access within a period of time that they consider appropriate;
(e) in respect of any publication or bulletin referred to in section 5; or
(f) in respect of any other matter relating to requesting or obtaining access to records under this Act.
Marginal note:Complaints submitted on behalf of complainants
(2) Nothing in this Act precludes the Information Commissioner from receiving and investigating complaints of a nature described in subsection (1) that are submitted by a person authorized by the complainant to act on behalf of the complainant, and a reference to a complainant in any other section includes a reference to a person so authorized.
Marginal note:Information Commissioner may initiate complaint
(3) Where the Information Commissioner is satisfied that there are reasonable grounds to investigate a matter relating to requesting or obtaining access to records under this Act, the Commissioner may initiate a complaint in respect thereof.
- R.S., 1985, c. A-1, s. 30;
- 1992, c. 21, s. 4.
- Date modified: