Marginal note:Adding heirs to list
52. It is not necessary, where the personal representative of any deceased contributory is placed on a list of contributories, to add the heirs or devisees of the contributory, but the heirs or devisees may be added as and when the court thinks fit.
- R.S., c. W-10, s. 52.
Marginal note:Liability of shareholders
53. (1) Every shareholder or member of a company or his representative is liable to contribute the amount unpaid on his shares of the capital or on his liability to the company, or to its members or creditors, as the case may be, under the Act, charter or instrument of incorporation of the company, or otherwise.
Marginal note:Liability an asset
(2) The amount that a shareholder is liable to contribute under subsection (1) shall be deemed an asset of the company, and a debt due to the company, payable as directed or appointed under this Act.
- R.S., c. W-10, s. 53.
Marginal note:Liability after transfer of shares
54. (1) Where a shareholder has transferred his shares under circumstances that do not, by law, free him from liability in respect thereof, or where he is by law liable to the company or its members or creditors, as the case may be, to an amount beyond the amount unpaid on his shares, he shall be deemed a member of the company for the purposes of this Act and is liable to contribute, under subsection 53(1), to the extent of his liabilities to the company or its members or creditors, independently of this Act.
Marginal note:An asset
(2) The amount that a shareholder is liable to contribute under subsection (1) shall be deemed an asset and a debt described in subsection 53(2).
- R.S., c. W-10, s. 54.
Marginal note:Liability of contributory a debt
55. The liability of any person to contribute to the assets of a company under this Act, in the event of the business of the company being wound up, creates a debt accruing due from that person at the time when his liability commenced, but payable at the time or respective times when calls are made, under this Act, for enforcing that liability.
- R.S., c. W-10, s. 55.
Marginal note:Provable against his estate
56. In the case of the bankruptcy or insolvency of any contributory, the estimated value of his liability to future calls, as well as calls already made, may be proved against his estate.
- R.S., c. W-10, s. 56.
Marginal note:Handing over money and books
57. A court may, at any time after making a winding-up order, require any contributory for the time being settled on the list of contributories as trustee, receiver, banker, agent or officer of the company, to pay, deliver, convey, surrender or transfer forthwith, or within such time as the court directs, to or into the hands of the liquidator, any sum or balance, books, papers, estate or effects that are in his hands for the time being, and to which the company appears to be entitled.
- R.S., c. W-10, s. 57.
- Date modified: