Marginal note:Annual report
16. (1) The Commissioner shall, not later than June 30 each year, submit a report on the operation of the Program during the preceding fiscal year to the Minister.
(2) The Minister shall cause a copy of the report to be laid before each House of Parliament on any of the first fifteen days on which that House is sitting after the Minister receives the report.
Marginal note:Policy directions relating to Program
17. The Commissioner shall give effect to such directions as the Minister may make concerning matters of general policy related to the administration of the Program.
Marginal note:Cooperation of other branches of government
18. Subject to confidentiality requirements imposed by any other Act, departments and agencies of the Government of Canada shall, to the extent possible, cooperate with the Commissioner and persons acting on behalf of the Commissioner in the administration of the Program under this Act.
Marginal note:Existing agreements
19. Every agreement in existence on the day on which this Act comes into force entered into by or on behalf of the Commissioner to provide protection to a person or entered into on behalf of the Government of Canada relating to the protection of persons is, to the extent that it is consistent with this Act, deemed to have been entered into under the relevant provisions of this Act and shall be governed by this Act.
20. The Governor in Council may make regulations for the purpose of giving effect to this Act including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, regulations
(a) specifying the types of information to be provided in respect of a witness who is being considered for admission to the Program;
(b) respecting the terms that must be included in protection agreements or in agreements or arrangements entered into under section 14; and
(c) governing the procedures to be followed in order to involve a protectee in legal proceedings.
Marginal note:Disclosure offence
21. Every person who contravenes subsection 11(1) is guilty of an offence and liable
(a) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding $50,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, or to both; or
(b) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or to both.
RELATED AND CONSEQUENTIAL AMENDMENTS
22. and 23. [Amendments]
- Date modified: