Marginal note:Retention of records
251. (1) A company shall retain
(a) the records of the company referred to in subsection 243(1);
(b) any record of the company referred to in paragraph 243(2)(a) or (b); and
(c) the central securities register referred to in subsection 253(1).
(2) A company shall retain all signature cards and signing authorities or copies thereof relating to any deposit or instrument in respect of which the company has paid an amount to the Bank of Canada pursuant to section 424 until the Bank of Canada notifies the company that they need no longer be retained.
(3) Copies of the signature cards and signing authorities referred to in subsection (2) may be kept in any manner or form referred to in paragraphs 248(1)(a) and (b) and any such copies, or prints therefrom, are admissible in evidence in the same manner and to the same extent as the original signature cards and signing authorities.
(4) Nothing in this section affects the operation of any statute of limitation or prescription or relieves the company from any obligation to the Bank of Canada in respect of any deposit or instrument in respect of which section 424 applies.
252. The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting the records, papers and documents to be retained by a company and the length of time those records, papers and documents are to be retained.
Marginal note:Central securities register
253. (1) A company shall maintain a central securities register in which it shall record the securities, within the meaning of section 84, issued by it in registered form, showing in respect of each class or series of securities
(a) the names, alphabetically arranged, and latest known addresses of the persons who are security holders, and the names and latest known addresses of the persons who have been security holders;
(b) the number of securities held by each security holder; and
(c) the date and particulars of the issue and transfer of each security.
Marginal note:Former-Act and continued companies
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), “central securities register” includes similar registers required by law to be maintained by a former-Act company or by a body corporate continued, or amalgamated and continued, as a company under this Act before the continuance, amalgamation or coming into force of this section, as the case may be.
Marginal note:Access to central securities register
(3) Shareholders and creditors of a company and their personal representatives may examine the central securities register during the usual business hours of the company and may take extracts from it free of charge or have copies of it made on payment of a reasonable fee. If the company is a distributing company, any other person may on payment of a reasonable fee examine the central securities register during the usual business hours of the company and take extracts from it or have copies of it made.
Marginal note:Electronic access
(4) The company may make the information contained in the central securities register available by any mechanical or electronic data processing system or other information storage device that is capable of reproducing it in intelligible written form within a reasonable time.
Marginal note:Affidavit and undertaking
(5) A person who wishes to examine the central securities register, take extracts from it or have copies of it made shall provide the company with an affidavit containing their name and address — or if they are an entity, the name and address for service of the entity — and with an undertaking that the information contained in the register will not be used except in the same way as a list of shareholders may be used under section 247. In the case of an entity, the affidavit is to be sworn by a director or officer of the entity or a person acting in a similar capacity.
Marginal note:Supplementary information
(6) A person who wishes to examine a central securities register, take extracts from it or have copies of it made may on payment of a reasonable fee, if they state in the accompanying affidavit that supplementary information is required, request the company or its agent to provide supplementary information setting out any changes made to the register.
Marginal note:When supplementary information to be provided
(7) A company or its agent shall provide the supplementary information within
(a) 10 days after the day on which the central securities register is examined if the changes take place before that day; and
(b) 10 days after the day to which the supplementary information relates if the changes take place on or after the day on which the central securities register is examined.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 253;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 513;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 418.
- Date modified: