Marginal note:Abandoning sale
240. Where a special resolution approving a sale under subsection 239(4) so states, the directors of a selling company may, subject to the rights of third parties, abandon the sale without further approval of the shareholders.
Marginal note:Application to Minister
241. (1) Subject to subsection (2), unless a sale agreement is abandoned in accordance with section 240, the selling company shall, within three months after the approval of the sale agreement in accordance with subsection 239(4), apply to the Minister for approval of the sale agreement.
Marginal note:Conditions precedent to application
(2) No application for approval under subsection (1) may be made unless
(a) notice of intention to make such an application has been published at least once a week for a period of four consecutive weeks in the Canada Gazette and in a newspaper in general circulation at or near the place where the head office of the selling company is situated;
(b) the application is supported by satisfactory evidence that the selling company has complied with the requirements of sections 237 to 240 and this section; and
(c) where the selling company is a trust company pursuant to subsection 57(2), the application is supported by satisfactory evidence that the selling company has made such arrangements as may be necessary to transfer to another company that is a trust company pursuant to subsection 57(2) money or other assets held in trust by the selling company, other than assets held in respect of guaranteed trust money.
Marginal note:Approval by Minister
(3) A sale agreement has no force or effect until it has been approved by the Minister.
(4) Where an application has been made to the Minister in accordance with subsections (1) and (2), the Minister may approve the sale agreement to which the application relates.
(5) Where a selling company is a trust company pursuant to subsection 57(2), the Minister shall not approve the sale agreement until the Minister is satisfied that the selling company has made satisfactory arrangements for the protection of persons in relation to whom the selling company was acting in a fiduciary capacity.
Head Office and Corporate Records
Marginal note:Head office
242. (1) A company shall at all times have a head office in the province specified in its incorporating instrument or by-laws.
Marginal note:Change of head office
(2) The directors of a company may change the address of the head office within the province specified in the incorporating instrument or by-laws.
Marginal note:Notice of change of address
(3) A company shall send to the Superintendent, within fifteen days after any change of address of its head office, a notice of the change of address.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 242;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 414.
- Date modified: