Transfer of Business
Marginal note:Sale by company
237. (1) A company may sell all or substantially all of its assets to a financial institution incorporated by or under an Act of Parliament or to an authorized foreign bank in respect of its business in Canada if the purchasing financial institution or authorized foreign bank assumes all or substantially all of the liabilities of the company.
Marginal note:Sale agreement
(2) An agreement of purchase and sale (in subsection (3), section 238, subsections 239(1) and (4) and section 241 referred to as a “sale agreement”) shall set out the terms of, and means of effecting, the sale of assets referred to in subsection (1).
(3) Notwithstanding anything in this Act, the consideration for a sale referred to in subsection (1) may be cash or fully paid securities of the purchasing financial institution or authorized foreign bank or in part cash and in part fully paid securities of the purchasing financial institution or authorized foreign bank or any other consideration that is provided for in the sale agreement.
Meaning of “authorized foreign bank”
(4) In this section, “authorized foreign bank” has the meaning assigned to that expression by section 2 of the Bank Act.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 237;
- 1999, c. 28, s. 139.
Marginal note:Agreement to Superintendent
238. A sale agreement must be submitted to the Superintendent before it is sent to shareholders of the selling company under subsection 239(1).
- 1991, c. 45, s. 238;
- 2007, c. 6, s. 350.
Marginal note:Shareholder approval
239. (1) The directors of a selling company shall submit a sale agreement for approval to a meeting of the holders of shares of the company and, subject to subsection (3), to the holders of each class or series of shares of the company.
Marginal note:Right to vote
(2) Each share of a selling company carries the right to vote in respect of a sale referred to in subsection 237(1) whether or not the share otherwise carries the right to vote.
Marginal note:Class vote
(3) The holders of shares of a class or series of shares of a selling company are entitled to vote separately as a class or series in respect of a sale referred to in subsection 237(1) only if the shares of the class or series are affected by the sale in a manner different from the shares of another class or series.
Marginal note:Special resolution
(4) A sale agreement is approved when the shareholders, and the holders of each class or series of shares entitled to vote separately as a class or series pursuant to subsection (3), of the selling company have approved the sale by special resolution.
- Date modified: