Marginal note:Additional directors
183.1 (1) The directors may appoint one or more additional directors where the by-laws of the company allow them to do so and the by-laws determine the minimum and maximum numbers of directors.
Marginal note:Term of office
(2) A director appointed under subsection (1) holds office for a term expiring not later than the close of the next annual meeting of shareholders of the company.
Marginal note:Limit on number appointed
(3) The total number of directors appointed under subsection (1) may not exceed one third of the number of directors elected at the previous annual meeting of shareholders of the company.
- 1997, c. 15, s. 356.
Meetings of the Board
Marginal note:Meetings required
184. (1) The directors shall meet at least four times during each financial year.
Marginal note:Place for meetings
(2) The directors may meet at any place unless the by-laws provide otherwise.
Marginal note:Notice for meetings
(3) The notice for the meetings must be given as required by the by-laws.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 184;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 357.
Marginal note:Notice of meeting
185. (1) A notice of a meeting of directors shall specify each matter referred to in section 202 that is to be dealt with at the meeting but, unless the by-laws otherwise provide, need not otherwise specify the purpose of or the business to be transacted at the meeting.
Marginal note:Waiver of notice
(2) A director may in any manner waive notice of a meeting of directors and the attendance of a director at a meeting of directors is a waiver of notice of that meeting except where the director attends the meeting for the express purpose of objecting to the transaction of any business on the grounds that the meeting is not lawfully called.
Marginal note:Adjourned meeting
(3) Notice of an adjourned meeting of directors is not required to be given if the time and place of the adjourned meeting was announced at the original meeting.
186. (1) Subject to section 187, the number of directors referred to in subsection (2) constitutes a quorum at any meeting of directors or a committee of directors and, notwithstanding any vacancy among the directors, a quorum of directors may exercise all the powers of the directors.
(2) The number of directors constituting a quorum at any meeting of directors or a committee of directors shall be
(a) a majority of the minimum number of directors required by this Act for the board of directors or a committee of directors; or
(b) such greater number of directors than the number calculated pursuant to paragraph (a) as may be established by the by-laws of the company.
Marginal note:Director continues to be present
(3) A director who is present at a meeting of directors or of a committee of directors but is not, in accordance with subsection 208(1), present at any particular time during the meeting is considered to be present for the purposes of this section.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 186;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 401.
- Date modified: