490. and 491. [Repealed, 1997, c. 15, s. 404]
Marginal note:Company obligation
492. (1) Where, in respect of any proposed transaction permitted by this Part, other than those referred to in section 478, a company has reason to believe that the other party to the transaction is a related party of the company, the company shall take all reasonable steps to obtain from the other party full disclosure, in writing, of any interest or relationship, direct or indirect, that would make the other party a related party of the company.
Marginal note:Reliance on information
(2) A company and any person who is a director or an officer, employee or agent of the company may rely on any information contained in any disclosure received by the company pursuant to subsection (1) or any information otherwise acquired in respect of any matter that might be the subject of such a disclosure and no action lies against the company or any such person for anything done or omitted in good faith in reliance on any such information.
Marginal note:Notice to Superintendent
493. Where a company has entered into a transaction that the company is prohibited by this Part from entering into, or where a company has entered into a transaction for which approval is required under subsection 485(1) without having obtained the approval, the company shall, on becoming aware of that fact, notify the Superintendent without delay.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 493;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 405.
Marginal note:Order to void contract or to grant other remedy
494. (1) If a company enters into a transaction that it is prohibited from entering into by this Part, the company or the Superintendent may apply to a court for an order setting aside the transaction or for any other appropriate remedy, including an order directing that the related party of the company involved in the transaction account to the company for any profit or gain realized or that any director or senior officer of the company who authorized the transaction compensate the company for any loss or damage incurred by the company.
Marginal note:Time limit
(2) An application under subsection (1) in respect of a particular transaction may only be made within the period of three months following the day the notice referred to in section 493 in respect of the transaction is given to the Superintendent or, if no such notice is given, the day the Superintendent becomes aware of the transaction.
(3) For the purposes of subsection (2), a document purporting to have been issued by the Superintendent, certifying the day on which the Superintendent became aware of the transaction, shall, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, be received in evidence as conclusive proof of that fact without proof of the signature or of the official character of the person appearing to have signed the document and without further proof.
- 1991, c. 45, s. 494;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 554.
- Date modified: