4. The Commission shall, under the direction of the Minister, perform the duties imposed on the Commission under this Act.
- 1974-75-76, c. 20, s. 4.
PUBLIC GENERAL STATUTES
Marginal note:Revision of statutes
5. The Commission shall, from time to time, revise the public general statutes of Canada.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-20, s. 5;
- 2000, c. 5, s. 62.
Marginal note:Powers of Commission
6. In preparing a revision, the Commission may
(a) omit therefrom all Acts or parts thereof that have expired, have been repealed or suspended, or have had their effect;
(b) omit therefrom all Acts or parts thereof that, although enacted as or in public Acts, have reference only to a particular country, province, locality, place or body politic, or otherwise have no general application;
(c) include therein Acts or parts thereof that, although enacted as or in private Acts, or although deemed to be local Acts or enactments, are of such a character that they impose duties or obligations on, or limit the rights or privileges of, the public;
(d) alter the numbering and arrangement of the statutes and of the different Parts, sections and other divisions thereof;
(e) make such alterations in the language of the statutes as may be required to preserve a uniform mode of expression, without changing the substance of any enactment;
(f) make such minor improvements in the language of the statutes as may be required to bring out more clearly the intention of Parliament, or make the form of expression of the statute in one of the official languages more compatible with its expression in the other official language, without changing the substance of any enactment;
(g) make such changes in the statutes as are required to reconcile seemingly inconsistent enactments; and
(h) correct editing, grammatical or typographical errors in the statutes.
- 1974-75-76, c. 20, s. 6.
Marginal note:Parliamentary examination
7. (1) During the progress of the preparation of a revision or on the conclusion thereof, or both during the progress and on the conclusion thereof, the Minister shall cause drafts of the statutes so revised to be laid for examination and approval before such Committee of the House of Commons and such Committee of the Senate, or such Committee of both Houses of Parliament, as may be designated for the purpose of the examination and approval.
Marginal note:Enactment of Revised Statutes
(2) When drafts of all the statutes included in a revision have been examined and approved by the Committee or Committees referred to in subsection (1), the Minister shall cause to be prepared and introduced in Parliament a bill substantially in accord with the model bill set out in the schedule, or to the like effect.
- 1974-75-76, c. 20, s. 7.
- Date modified: