Marginal note:Rules and instructions
7. The Minister may, by order, prescribe such rules, instructions, schedules and forms as the Minister deems requisite for conducting the work and business of Statistics Canada, the collecting, compiling and publishing of statistics and other information and the taking of any census authorized by this Act.
- 1970-71-72, c. 15, s. 7.
Marginal note:Voluntary surveys
8. The Minister may, by order, authorize the obtaining, for a particular purpose, of information, other than information for a census of population or agriculture, on a voluntary basis, but where such information is requested section 31 does not apply in respect of a refusal or neglect to furnish the information.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 47, s. 41.
Marginal note:No discrimination
9. (1) Neither the Governor in Council nor the Minister shall, in the execution of the powers conferred by this Act, discriminate between individuals or companies to the prejudice of those individuals or companies.
Marginal note:Use of sampling methods
(2) Notwithstanding anything in this Act, the Minister may authorize the use of sampling methods for the collection of statistics.
- 1970-71-72, c. 15, s. 8.
Marginal note:Arrangements with provincial governments
10. (1) The Minister may enter into any arrangement with the government of a province providing for any matter necessary or convenient for the purpose of carrying out or giving effect to this Act, and in particular for all or any of the following matters:
(a) the execution by provincial officers of any power or duty conferred or imposed on any officer pursuant to this Act;
(b) the collection by any provincial department or provincial officer of any statistical or other information required for the purpose of this Act; and
(c) the supplying of statistical information by any provincial department or provincial officer to the Chief Statistician.
Marginal note:Provincial officers
(2) All provincial officers executing any power or duty conferred or imposed on any officer pursuant to this Act, in pursuance of any arrangement entered into under this section, shall, for the purposes of the execution of that power or duty, be deemed to be employed under this Act.
- 1970-71-72, c. 15, s. 9.
Marginal note:Agreements with provincial governments
11. (1) The Minister may, with the approval of the Governor in Council and subject to this section, enter into an agreement with the government of a province for the exchange with, or transmission to, a statistical agency of the province of
(a) replies to any specific statistical inquiries;
(b) replies to any specific classes of information collected under this Act; and
(c) any tabulations and analyses based on replies referred to in paragraph (a) or (b).
Marginal note:Type of statistical agency
(2) An agreement with a province for the purposes of this section shall apply only in respect of a statistical agency of the province
(a) that has statutory authority to collect the information that is intended to be exchanged or transmitted pursuant to the agreement from a respondent who is subject to statutory penalties for refusing or neglecting to furnish information to the agency or for falsifying information furnished by him to the agency;
(b) that is prohibited by law from disclosing any information of a kind that Statistics Canada, its officers and employees would be prohibited from disclosing under section 17, if the information were furnished to Statistics Canada; and
(c) whose officers and employees are subject to statutory penalties for the disclosing of any information of the kind described in paragraph (b), subject to exceptions authorized by law that are substantially the same as those provided under section 17.
Marginal note:Non-application of agreement
(3) Except in respect of information described in subsection 17(2), no agreement entered into under this section applies to any reply made to or information collected by Statistics Canada or an agency of the government of a province before the date that the agreement was entered into or is to have effect, whichever is the later date.
Marginal note:Informing respondent
(4) Where any information in respect of which an agreement under this section applies is collected by Statistics Canada from a respondent, Statistics Canada shall, when collecting information, advise the respondent of the names of any statistical agencies in respect of which the Minister has an agreement under this section and to which the information received from the respondent may be communicated under that agreement.
- 1970-71-72, c. 15, s. 10.
- Date modified: