36. [Repealed, 1999, c. 12, s. 19]
Marginal note:Tribunal to give advice
37. If a reference is made to the Tribunal under section 33 on any question in relation to any matter before the President,
(a) the President shall forthwith provide the Tribunal with such information and material with respect to the matter as may be required under the rules of the Tribunal; and
(b) the Tribunal shall render its advice on the question
(i) without holding any hearings thereon,
(ii) on the basis of the information that was before the President when he reached his decision or conclusion on that question, and
(iii) forthwith after the date on which the reference is made to it and, in any event, not later than thirty days after that date.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-15, s. 37;
- 1999, c. 12, s. 20, c. 17, ss. 183, 184;
- 2005, c. 38, s. 134.
Preliminary Determination of Injury or of Dumping or Subsidizing
Marginal note:Preliminary determination of injury
37.1 (1) On or before the sixtieth day after the initiation of an investigation under section 31, the Tribunal shall make, with respect to the goods in respect of which the investigation has not been terminated under section 35, a preliminary determination that there is evidence that discloses a reasonable indication that the dumping or subsidizing has caused injury or retardation or is threatening to cause injury.
(2) The Tribunal shall cause notice of the preliminary determination to be
(a) given to the President, the exporter, the importer, the government of the country of export, the complainant, if any, and any prescribed persons; and
(b) published in the Canada Gazette.
- 1999, c. 12, s. 21, c. 17, s. 184;
- 2005, c. 38, s. 134.
Marginal note:Preliminary determination of dumping or subsidizing
38. (1) Subject to section 39, after the sixtieth and on or before the ninetieth day after the initiation of an investigation under section 31, the President shall make a preliminary determination of dumping or subsidizing with respect to the goods in respect of which the investigation has not been terminated under section 35 after estimating and specifying, in relation to each exporter of goods in respect of which the investigation is made, as follows:
(a) in the case of dumped goods,
(i) estimating the margin of dumping of the goods to which the preliminary determination applies, using the information available to him at the time the estimate is made, and
(ii) specifying the goods to which the preliminary determination applies;
(b) in the case of subsidized goods,
(i) estimating the amount of subsidy on the goods to which the preliminary determination applies, using the information available to him at the time the estimate is made,
(ii) specifying the goods to which the preliminary determination applies, and
(iii) subject to subsection (2), where the whole or any part of the subsidy on the goods to which the preliminary determination applies is a prohibited subsidy, specifying that there is a prohibited subsidy on the goods and estimating the amount of the prohibited subsidy thereon; and
(c) in the case of dumped or subsidized goods, specifying the name of the person the President believes, on the information available to the President at the time the President makes the estimate referred to in subparagraph (a)(i) or (b)(i), as the case may be, is the importer in Canada of the goods.
(2) The President shall not specify or estimate anything pursuant to subparagraph (1)(b)(iii) where the President is of the opinion that, having regard to the country that is providing the export subsidy, the nature of the goods on which there is an export subsidy and the circumstances under which the export subsidy is provided, provision of the export subsidy in relation to those goods is not inconsistent with that country’s obligations under the international agreement known as the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade, 1994.
Marginal note:Notice of preliminary determination
(3) Where the President makes a preliminary determination under subsection (1), the President shall
(a) cause notice of the determination to be given and published as provided in paragraph 34(1)(a); and
(b) cause to be filed with the Secretary written notice of the determination, stating the reasons therefor, together with such other material relating to the determination as may be required under the rules of the Tribunal.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-15, s. 38;
- 1994, c. 47, ss. 166, 185;
- 1999, c. 12, s. 22, c. 17, ss. 183, 184;
- 2005, c. 38, s. 134.
- Date modified: