Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
3. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province.
4. The purpose of this Act is to increase, for the benefit of the present and future generations, the level of protection of the ecosystems of a representative portion of the Saguenay River and the St. Lawrence estuary for conservation purposes, while encouraging its use for educational, recreational and scientific purposes.
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE PARK
Marginal note:Park established
5. (1) The Saguenay-St. Lawrence Marine Park, the boundaries of which are set out in the schedule, is hereby established.
Marginal note:Park zones
(2) The park is composed of four types of zones:
(a) comprehensive preservation zones (Type I zones);
(b) specific protection zones (Type II zones);
(c) general protection zones (Type III zones); and
(d) general use zones (Type IV zones).
CHANGE OF PARK BOUNDARIES
Marginal note:Change of park boundaries
6. (1) Subject to section 7, the Governor in Council may, by order, change the park boundaries set out in the schedule if
(a) agreement has been reached between the Governments of Canada and Quebec; and
(b) the Minister and the Quebec minister have jointly consulted with the public and the coordinating committee.
(2) For greater certainty, any enlargement of the park may only extend over public lands of Quebec.
Marginal note:Notice of the proposed change to be tabled and referred to committee
7. (1) A notice of intention to make an order to change boundaries of the park shall be tabled in the House of Commons and stands referred to the committee of the House that normally considers matters relating to parks, or to any other committee designated by the House for the purposes of this section, if the intention is to reduce the area of the park, or of any zone of the park, other than a reduction of the area of a Type III or Type IV zone by one square kilometre or less.
Marginal note:Consideration by committee
(2) The committee shall report to the House of Commons whether it approves or disapproves the change and, on or after the next sitting day, a motion to concur in the report shall be put to the House in accordance with its procedures and disposed of without amendment or debate.
Marginal note:Where proposed change rejected
(3) The proposed change shall not be made if the House of Commons concurs in a report disapproving the proposed order or does not concur in a report approving the order.
- 1997, c. 37, s. 7;
- 2000, c. 32, s. 65.
- Date modified: