Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985 Act
R.S.C., 1985, c. 40 (3rd Supp.)
An Act to bring into force the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985
WHEREAS, pursuant to the Statute Revision Act, the Statute Revision Commission has, under the direction of the Minister of Justice, prepared a revision of the public general statutes of Canada, which revision has been examined and approved by the Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs and the Standing Committee on Justice and Solicitor General of the House of Commons, both designated for the purpose of examining and approving the work of the Statute Revision Commission;
AND WHEREAS a Statute Roll, in the form of a printed copy of the revision in eight volumes, has been prepared, attested at the beginning of each volume under the signature of Her Excellency the Governor General, countersigned by the Minister of Justice and certified correct by the Chairman of the Statute Revision Commission, and deposited in the office of the Clerk of the Parliaments on November 27, 1987;
AND WHEREAS the Statute Revision Commission has recommended that the Acts and portions of Acts listed in the schedule attached to the Statute Roll be repealed immediately before the coming into force of the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985;
AND WHEREAS it is expedient to confirm the Statute Roll and to give the statutes set out therein the force and effect of law as the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, subject to the limitations hereinafter stated;
NOW, THEREFORE, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
CONFIRMATION, COMMENCEMENT AND REPEAL
Marginal note:Confirmation of Statute Roll
2. (1) Subject to this Act, the Statute Roll deposited in the office of the Clerk of the Parliaments on November 27, 1987 and the statutes contained therein bearing chapter numbers A-1 to Y-4 are hereby declared to be law by the designation of the “Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985” as though the Statute Roll and those statutes were expressly embodied in and enacted by this Act.
Marginal note:Commencement of Revised Statutes
(2) Subject to this Act, the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, in this Act referred to as the “Revised Statutes”, come into force and have operation and effect as law on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Acts to be proclaimed
(3) Where an Act included in the Revised Statutes contains a provision stating that the Act or any portion thereof is to come into force on a specified day or on a day to be fixed by proclamation,
(a) subsection (2) applies only in respect of the coming into force of that Act or portion if the specified day or the day fixed by proclamation occurred on or before the day referred to in that subsection; and
(b) if the specified day or the day fixed by proclamation occurs after the day referred to in subsection (2), the Act or portion comes into force on the specified day or the day fixed by proclamation.
Marginal note:Enactments repealed
3. Immediately before the coming into force of the Revised Statutes, the several Acts and portions of Acts listed in the schedule to the Statute Roll are repealed to the extent mentioned in the schedule.
EFFECTS OF REVISION AND REPEAL
Marginal note:Operation of Revised Statutes
4. The Revised Statutes shall not be held to operate as new law, but shall be construed and have effect as a consolidation of the law as contained in the Acts and portions of Acts repealed by section 3 and for which the Revised Statutes are substituted.
Marginal note:References to repealed enactments and terminology
5. Where a reference is made in any Act, regulation or other instrument, document or text to any Act or portion thereof repealed by section 3, or to any expression used therein, the reference shall, after the Revised Statutes take effect, be deemed as regards any subsequent transaction, matter or thing to be a reference to the enactment in the Revised Statutes having the same effect as the repealed Act or portion thereof, or to the corresponding expression used therein.
Marginal note:Use of documents
6. Any forms, stationery and other documents, used under or in connection with an Act that is repealed by section 3 and for which an enactment in the Revised Statutes is substituted, may continue to be used during a reasonable period of time after the Revised Statutes take effect.
- Date modified: