Marginal note:Offences by employees, agents or mandataries
41. In a prosecution for an offence under this Act, it is sufficient proof of the offence to establish that it was committed by an employee, an agent or a mandatary of the accused, whether or not the employee, agent or mandatary is identified or has been prosecuted for the offence.
Marginal note:Due diligence
42. (1) Due diligence is a defence in a prosecution for an offence under this Act.
Marginal note:Section 126 of Criminal Code
(2) No person shall be prosecuted under section 126 of the Criminal Code for a contravention of subsection 9(2).
Marginal note:Continuing offence
43. A contravention of this Act that is committed or continued on more than one day constitutes a separate offence for each day on which it is committed or continued.
Marginal note:Limitation period
44. Any proceedings by way of summary conviction in respect of an offence under this Act may be instituted at any time within, but not later than, two years after the time when the subject-matter of the proceedings arose.
45. If a court of competent jurisdiction — including the Federal Court — is satisfied, on application by the Minister, that a contravention of section 5 is being or is likely to be committed, the court may grant an injunction, subject to any conditions that the court considers appropriate, ordering any person to cease or refrain from any activity related to that contravention, or ordering the person to take any measure that a licensee could, under this Act, be required to take.
REVIEW AND REPORT
Marginal note:Independent review
45.1 (1) The Minister shall cause an independent review of the provisions and operation of this Act to be conducted from time to time in order to assess, in particular, its impact on technological development and on the implementation of international agreements and treaties.
Marginal note:Report by Minister
(2) The Minister shall cause the report on a review conducted under subsection (1) to be laid before each House of Parliament within five years after the coming into force of this Act, and within every five-year period after the tabling of a report under this subsection.
COMING INTO FORCE
Marginal note:Order in council
Return to footnote *[Note: Section 46 in force on assent November 25, 2005; Act, other than section 46, in force April 5, 2007, see SI/2007-47.]
- Date modified: