37. (1) The Minister may issue a certificate certifying the unpaid amount of any debt referred to in subsection 36(1).
Marginal note:Registration in Federal Court
(2) Registration in the Federal Court or in any other court of competent jurisdiction of a certificate issued under subsection (1) has the same effect as a judgment of that Court for a debt of the amount specified in the certificate and all related registration costs.
Marginal note:Contravention — section 5, 13 or 14 or subsection 16(1)
38. (1) Every person who contravenes section 5 or subsection 16(1) or an order made under section 13 or 14 is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction
(a) in the case of an individual, to a fine not exceeding $50,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 18 months, or to both; and
(b) in any other case, to a fine not exceeding $250,000.
Marginal note:Contravention — section 15 or subsection 18(5) or (6)
(2) Every person who contravenes subsection 18(5) or (6) or an order made under section 15 is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction
(a) in the case of an individual, to a fine not exceeding $25,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to both; and
(b) in any other case, to a fine not exceeding $125,000.
Marginal note:Jurisdiction — contravention outside Canada
39. (1) If a person is alleged to have committed an act or omission that is a contravention of section 5 because of the application of section 6, proceedings in relation to that contravention may, whether or not the person is in Canada, be commenced in any territorial division in Canada, and the person may be tried and punished in respect of that offence in the same manner as if it had been committed in that territorial division.
Marginal note:Appearance of accused at trial
(2) The provisions of the Criminal Code, including their exceptions, relating to requirements that an accused appear at and be present during proceedings apply in respect of proceedings commenced in a territorial division under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Offence dealt with outside Canada
(3) If a person is alleged to have committed an act or omission referred to in subsection (1) and the person has been dealt with outside Canada for the contravention in a manner that, if the person had been dealt with in Canada for the contravention in that manner, would allow the person to plead autrefois acquit, autrefois convict or pardon, the person is deemed to have been so dealt with in Canada.
Marginal note:Liability of officers, directors, agents or mandataries
40. If a corporation commits an offence under this Act, any officer, director, agent or mandatary of the corporation who directed, authorized, assented to, acquiesced in or participated in the commission of the offence is a party to and guilty of the offence and is liable to the punishment provided for the offence, whether or not the corporation has been prosecuted or convicted.
- Date modified: